Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
At the end is the passage:
“But that may have more to do with Japanese life style…Urban Japanese have long endured lengthy commute and crowded living conditions, but as the old group and family value weaken, the discomfort is beginning to tell. In the past decade, the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United states, has increased by more than 50 percent, and suicides have increased by nearly one-quarter.”
1. Can you see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life from the above?
2. I will see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the divorce rate in Japan exceeds that in the U.S. from the above. In my eyes, divorce belongs to life style.
What do you think of them?
Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
“But that may have more to do with Japanese life style…Urban Japanese have long endured lengthy commute and crowded living conditions, but as the old group and family value weaken, the discomfort is beginning to tell. In the past decade, the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United states, has increased by more than 50 percent, and suicides have increased by nearly one-quarter.”
1. Can you see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life from the above?
2. I will see the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the divorce rate in Japan exceeds that in the U.S. from the above. In my eyes, divorce belongs to life style.
Thanks!

What are you supposed to be doing with this?

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What are you supposed to be doing with this?
I wongder why you ask me such a question. Directly, I can say it is not for money but for knowledge.
Thanks!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the question is not what you inferred. Is 2 supposed to be an answer to 1?

The divorce rate is not higher than the rate in the US, by the way.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
“But that may have more to do with Japanese life style…Urban Japanese have long endured lengthy commute and crowded living conditions, but as the old group and family value weaken, the discomfort is beginning to tell. In the past decade,...and suicides have increased by nearly one-quarter.”
Thanks!

Obviously, it is a question of comprehension in China graduate entrance test of 2000. Question of the test is:
' The change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that
A. the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life .
B. the divorce rate in Japan exceeds that in the U.S."
The key given by the government is A. But I think it should be B.
My question is : Do you agree with me?
I am asking for your help.
Besides, according to common sense, if there is not much change in a country ,the divorce rate will not change much for a long time, either. But the passage points out " the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ,has increased by more than 50 percent."
thanks a lot!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It can't be B. The text says, "the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ...".

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It can't be B. The text says, "the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ...".
Dear Mr 5jj,
Sorry you didn't quote the whole sentence. It is " In the past decade,the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States, has increased by more than 50 percent,..."
I think " well below" referred to " the past decade". I am not right, are I?
By the way, even if B isn't right, is A right?
Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Obviously, it is a question of comprehension in China graduate entrance test of 2000. Question of the test is:
My question is : Do you agree with me?
I am asking for your help.
Besides, according to common sense, if there is not much change in a country ,the divorce rate will not change much for a long time, either. But the passage points out " the Japanese divorce rate, while still well below that of the United States ,has increased by more than 50 percent."
thanks a lot!

There is no "obviously " in this. It was completely unclear to Bhai and to me what you were asking.

The divorce rate is still lower than in the US at the time it was written. Answer B ignores the suicide issue. The answer is clearly not B.

Your response is rude and shows a complete lack of appreciation for the pages and pages of threads your posts have led to in the past. Until you can muster some courtesy, I would not be surprised if your posts received a lot less attention.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Obviously, it is a question of comprehension in China graduate entrance test of 2000.

Not being familiar with the "China graduate entrance test of 2000", and as you didn't ask an actual question, it was far from obvious to me.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Not being familiar with the "China graduate entrance test of 2000", and as you didn't ask an actual question, it was far from obvious to me.
Thanks for your twice coming here.
Could you help me find out " the change in Japanese life-style is revealed in the fact that the young are less tolerant of discomforts in life" from what I quoted? As a student asks a teacher with the question ,is it actual? I am so stupid that I cannot make myself understood!
Thank you very much!

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There is no "obviously " in this. It was completely unclear to Bhai and to me what you were asking.

The divorce rate is still lower than in the US at the time it was written. Answer B ignores the suicide issue. The answer is clearly not B.

Your response is rude and shows a complete lack of appreciation for the pages and pages of threads your posts have led to in the past. Until you can muster some courtesy, I would not be surprised if your posts received a lot less attention.

I accept your criticism!

Thank you indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.