Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
as a wise man might once have suggested, when the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmine lemonade?

I am not sure why question mark is used in the above sentence and who make jasmine lemonade. Could anyone explain?

Thanks!

JY

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a wise man might once have suggested, when the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmine lemonade?

I am not sure why question mark is used in the above sentence and who make jasmine lemonade. Could anyone explain?

Thanks!

JY

There is a phrase "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". "Lemons" here means bad situations or difficult challenges. It means that when you experience something bad or difficult in life, try to make something nice out of it.

I don't know why the text you quoted has changed it to jasmine-scented lemons etc. I can only assume that the culture of the writer has something to do with jasmine.

The question mark is rather odd. My only guess is that the writer was trying to say "When the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, why not make jasmine lemonade?" It's a suggestion worded as a question. However, the original text really doesn't need a question mark.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is a phrase "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade". "Lemons" here means bad situations or difficult challenges. It means that when you experience something bad or difficult in life, try to make something nice out of it.

I don't know why the text you quoted has changed it to jasmine-scented lemons etc. I can only assume that the culture of the writer has something to do with jasmine.

The question mark is rather odd. My only guess is that the writer was trying to say "When the world gives you jasmine-scented lemons, why not make jasmine lemonade?" It's a suggestion worded as a question. However, the original text really doesn't need a question mark.
Can we assume that 'jasmine-scented lemons' in Hong Kong are comparable to 'bad situations or difficult challenges'? If not, the comparison to our lemon metaphor is completely different. :cool:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can we assume that 'jasmine-scented lemons' in Hong Kong are comparable to 'bad situations or difficult challenges'? If not, the comparison to our lemon metaphor is completely different. :cool:

My immediate reaction would be to say that jasmine-scented lemons sound quite nice and I wouldn't necessarily associate them with anything bad, difficult or challenging. But the metaphor is the only one I know including lemons and lemonade. I think only someone from Hong Kong would be able to tell us if "jasmine-scented lemons" is a common phrase!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My immediate reaction would be to say that jasmine-scented lemons sound quite nice and I wouldn't necessarily associate them with anything bad, difficult or challenging. But the metaphor is the only one I know including lemons and lemonade. I think only someone from Hong Kong would be able to tell us if "jasmine-scented lemons" is a common phrase!
emsr2d, I agree that "jasmine-scented lemons" sounds marvelous!

So, I guess the best advice in Hong kong might be: "When life gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmineade". ;-)

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"When life gives you jasmine-scented lemons, make jasmineade". ;-)

Oh, I don't want to know anymore the main ingredient for Gatorade! :-?

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, I don't want to know anymore the main ingredient for Gatorade! :-?

Of course, the main ingredient for Gatorade has to be alligators! :cool:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Of course, the main ingredient for Gatorade has to be alligators! :cool:

That would be preferable to the carcinogenic food colouring, no less than three forms of sugar (fructose, glucose and refined sugar), and the always delightful "high fructose corn syrup" which it's actually made of. Give me a glass of water any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.