lips spread why when you get the /l/ sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardmore

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Code:
[FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3]To make the post-vocalic /l/ sound correctly, m[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3]ake sure you are smiling, lips spread why when you get the /l/ sound.
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

This is extracted from my training material. What does it mean?
Thanks.

Code:
[FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3]To make the post-vocalic /l/ sound correctly, m[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3]ake sure you are smiling, lips spread why when you get the /l/ sound.

This is extracted from my training material. What does it mean?
Thanks.

Are you sure you have copied it correctly?

The original text:
Code:
[B][FONT=Times-Bold][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Bold][SIZE=3]How to Make this Sound: 
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Times-Bold][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Bold][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3]To make the post-vocalic /l/ sound correctly, use a mirror to watch your[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Times-Roman][SIZE=3]
mouth movement. Make sure you are smiling, lips spread why when you get the /l/ sound – if your lips are rounded, you are not making the right sound.

I got the answer from the author.
Code:
lips spread when (the why shouldn't be there) you get the /l/ sound ... you 
should spread your lips or smile for the post-vocalic /l/
But I still have question:
lips spread=open mouth?
or
lips spread=round mouth?

I got the answer from the author.
Code:
lips spread when (the why shouldn't be there) you get the /l/ sound ... you 
should spread your lips or smile for the post-vocalic /l/
But I still have question:
lips spread=open mouth?
or
lips spread=round mouth?

Open mouth, I should think.

I think the clue is in the word "smile". If you spread your lips in a smile, then you spread them horizontally across your face, and separate your lips so that your mouth is open.

I don't get this. I've never seen anybody smile in order to say "l", post-vocalically or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back