Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What is the money you give another person when you hurt / damage them in an accident and you are guilty?
Is it "atonement"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Compensation. There are other terms but that is the first one which springs to mind.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Personal Injury Compensation

That makes me think of companies admitting liability for something (ie an employee slipping on a wet floor which wasn't indicated by a "Wet Floor" sign, as shown in almost all those irritating adverts) and making a payout.

If I crash my car into someone else's car and they are injured as a result, my insurance company will pay them compensation. I don't think that is called Personal Injury Compensation.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That makes me think of companies admitting liability for something (ie an employee slipping on a wet floor which wasn't indicated by a "Wet Floor" sign, as shown in almost all those irritating adverts) and making a payout.

If I crash my car into someone else's car and they are injured as a result, my insurance company will pay them compensation. I don't think that is called Personal Injury Compensation.
The question was not about what an insurance payment is called, the question was what is the name for payment that the person who caused the accident pays. If you don't want the police, or your insurance company, to know about the accident - a settlement, a payoff, hush money, or, a bribe.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The question was not about what an insurance payment is called, the question was what is the name for payment that the person who caused the accident pays. If you don't want the police, or your insurance company, to know about the accident - a settlement, a payoff, hush money, or, a bribe.

First, it's not that clear from English4everyone's question whether an insurance company is involved or not, especially with his/her use of "guilty" as opposed to "responsible", but if not, I don't think I would refer to the payment as "hush money", "payoff" or "bribe". However, I would agree with your "settlement" or as ems has responded "compensation". On the other hand, in the U.S. most insurance companies refer to the insurance coverage one can obtain for personal injury to others in auto accidents or on residential property is Bodily Injury Liability. The payment for related injuries is called Personal Injury Compensation. However, that compensation is usually paid directly to the injured party and not paid to the person responsible to "give" (English4everyone's term) to the injured party. It might help (me, at least) if English4everyone would clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.