[General] What should I say in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enfe3al

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Canada
Hi All,
I'm a long time lurker, and this is my first post here. I can keep this post short, but I'll try to write as much as I can. I would appreciate your comments regarding my main question and, also, regarding my writing.

Today, I was in a situation where I didn't know how to express what I need properly. The story started at morning when I took my car to a mechanics to fix some problems. I left the car there and went back to school. Half an hour later, I remembered that the front headlight is burned out and requires a replacement. I called the mechanics by phone and I couldn't say a word! I tried to say something a long the line of: "Hi, I left my car with you half an hour ago and I just remembered that there's something else needs to be fixed. Can you please fix the left-front headlight for me?". But, while on the phone, my mind was in a deep thinking of whether it's right to say " left my car with you" or not.

My question: Is " left my car with you" the right way to express the meaning the I implied? What other ways to say the same thing? Imagine yourself in the same situation, what would you say and how would you manage the conversation?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I think that "I left my car with you" is fine.

I think that you could also say, "I dropped my car off at your shop a half hour ago."

James

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mechanics are more likely to know the car than the person. You could say you left the car, or that they have your car or that you brought your car in.

"Hi, this is Joe Doe, you have my Toyota Camry."

Last edited:

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"Hi, this is Joe Doe, you have my Toyota Camry."

That's funny; I had always heard "John Doe", never "Joe Doe". I'm not saying it's not used (there's actually no way I could know that: I live in Spain and have never been over to the States... yet: I just say I find it curious) :up:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I started with Joe Blow, then decided to use Doe, but didn't feel like erasing "Joe." That's all.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As you've seen, there are many ways to say it. This would probably be mine:

Hi. It's John Doe here. I brought my Ford Fiesta in this morning to be repaired. Could you have a look at the lefthand headlight too please?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another note: I would refer to "driver's side" or "passenger's side." "Left" or "right" depends on which way you're looking at the car.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another note: I would refer to "driver's side" or "passenger's side." "Left" or "right" depends on which way you're looking at the car.

Good point! And, courtesy of my aunt and my dad, "nearside" or "offside". I never refer to them as those because, try as I might, I can't remember which one is which at short notice!

For info, "nearside" is the passenger side (nearest the kerb) and "offside" is the driver's side (away from the kerb).

Status
Not open for further replies.