[Vocabulary] He can eat "by oneself" or "for onesefl"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across a question just as mentioned in the title above,which I'm unable to work out by myself.:) The full context goes as follows:
"Did you feed the baby milk?"
"No,he can---"
A. eat by himself B.feed for himself C. eat for himself D.feed by himself
As far as I understand , "by oneself" can mean "alone "or "without help from outside", while "for oneself" probably mean "for your own good or benefit". In the light of that , I would prefer A. However, I'm not sure about it because C is strongly recommended by some. So here I am. Which is of A and B the only correct or more appropriate option here? Any help would be appreciated. Besides, I would be more grateful if anyone could enlighten me on the meanings of "in oneself" and "of oneself". Some seem to say they mean the same, others not exactly the same. Thank all those who have helped me out on this site. The world will not be the same without you. I really love this place! Happy every day!:)

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
NOT A TEACHER

None of the answers make much sense to me. 'No, he can feed himself' is what I would have said in this situation.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I came across a question just as mentioned in the title above,which I'm unable to work out by myself.:) The full context goes as follows:
"Did you feed the baby milk?"
"No,he can---"
A. eat by himself B.feed for himself C. eat for himself D.feed by himself
As far as I understand , "by oneself" can mean "alone "or "without help from outside", while "for oneself" probably mean "for your own good or benefit". In the light of that , I would prefer A. However, I'm not sure about it because C is strongly recommended by some. So here I am. Which is of A and B the only correct or more appropriate option here? Any help would be appreciated. Besides, I would be more grateful if anyone could enlighten me on the meanings of "in oneself" and "of oneself". Some seem to say they mean the same, others not exactly the same. Thank all those who have helped me out on this site. The world will not be the same without you. I really love this place! Happy every day!:)
I am most used to hearing "He can eat by himself", meaning that he has the capability to bring food to his mouth and ingest that food. The usage of "milk" in your question tends to confuse the matter a bit in that one does not eat milk, one drinks milk. I agree that you can feed milk to a baby, but the baby doesn't eat milk. My initial response was, "No, he can eat solid food". That being said, option A is the only one that makes any sense to me.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am most used to hearing "He can eat by himself", meaning that he has the capability to bring food to his mouth and ingest that food. The usage of "milk" in your question tends to confuse the matter a bit in that one does not eat milk, one drinks milk. I agree that you can feed milk to a baby, but the baby doesn't eat milk. My initial response was, "No, he can eat solid food". That being said, option A is the only one that makes any sense to me.
Much obliged!Thank you both for your responses.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your thanks are appreciated, on the way, but you don't need to send them in a separate post or to quote our replies back to us.

We are all happy to accept a simple click on the Like button as your acknowledgement of our help.

Rover:-D​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This should be Did you feed him/xxx....

What's wrong with "Did you feed the baby milk?"? I'm sure some couples refer to their son or daughter as "the baby".

Did you feed the baby?
Did you feed the baby [his/her] milk?
Did you feed the baby milk or juice?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Err, nothing- my bad.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's wrong with "Did you feed the baby milk?"? I'm sure some couples refer to their son or daughter as "the baby".

Did you feed the baby?
Did you feed the baby [his/her] milk?
Did you feed the baby milk or juice?
It makes sense to me, but I would expect to hear, "Did you give the baby his milk", or, "Did you feed the baby".

Status
Not open for further replies.