Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does this "loud" mean here? The translation goes "evident or obvious", which I can't find in a dictionary.

mo1-27
ex)A few years ago, an interesting study examined why people who lose weight tend to regain most of their lost weight. The researchers follwed 350 people during the periods of weight loss and weight gain. Why did the subjects regain their weight? The answer was loud and clear...

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
It's the whole phrase "loud and clear" that is idiomatic. It means unequivocal(ly), emphatic(ally), unambiguous(ly).
It can refer to a spoken communication: "When the teacher scolded the students for their bad behaviour, the message came across loud and clear."
Or some other form: "The protests were loud and clear in the community newspaper for several weeks following the closure of the library."

not a teacher

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for the link anhnha. As with some other definitions I've just checked, there is no mention of the phrase often having the connotation of "emphatic" or "forceful", as well as "easily understood". However I'll stick with my suggestion that "loud and clear" often implies forcefulness as well as clarity. Others may differ on this.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.