Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello, I have been doing some listening and I got stuck on a part I either interpret wrong or there is a mistake in the book.

The transcript:
Today's picture is by John Audubon, who by coincidence was born in this very day in 1785, who's the most celebrated American ornithological artist. And as this is also the season when swallows make their annual migration from south to north, I've selected an illustration of that particular bird from Audubon's monumental work The Birds of America as this week's picture. The birds are shown with two chicks peeping from a hole in a sandbank. And in a moment I'll tell you about this technique. But first, the man himself (CAE Practice Tests Plus, 2008).

The question:
The expert has chosen to talk about this particular picture because:
A) today would have been the artist's birthday
B) it illustrates certain aspects of the artist's technique
C) this is a significant time of year for the birds depicted.

From what I understand, the correct answer is C) (the expert chose it because of the bird's migration and the artist's date of birth was only accidental) but the answer key says it should be A). Is there a mistake in the book or am I not understanding, not getting something? I would be very grateful for the answer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The answer is C. The answer key is wrong.

And as this is also the season when swallows make their annual migration from south to north, I've selected an illustration of that particular bird

The word as means 'because'. The writer provides a reason for selecting that particular picture of that particular bird.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems to me that I it could be any of them.

A. It just happens to be the day the artist was born. (That's not likely to be a coincidence.)
B. Technique is definitely mentioned.
C. The migration of the swallows is mentioned.
D. I think there should have been an "All of the above" option.

My two cents.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It seems to me that I it could be any of them.

D. I think there should have been an "All of the above" option.
jutfrank and SD have explained why C is the answer.