English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
I was wondering if anyone of you could help me with the operational meaning of "collocation". Since I am about to do a research on the most common mistakes regarding collocation. ( I want the meaning to include this kind of examples too: use sth, we do not say use of something so it is a wrong collocation.)
Thanks

Welcome to the forum, M1na. :hi:

This is one dictionary definition of collocation. What do you mean by 'operational meaning'?

Thank you,
well operational in this case means ready to be used in practice. ( the dictionary meaning does not count in this particular ocsasion.)
Forexample when I say "I faced with some problems ... ", ( it is wrong, the verb "face" does not need a preposition, so it does not collocate with "with" . I would say the mistake is related to collocation. ) Now I want a kind of definition for "Collocation" that can cover this usage as well. I hope I am clear.

Words either collocate commonly or they don't. There is no need for an 'operational' collocation.

By the way, you can be faced (passive) with a problem.

Yes of course. To be faced with sth or to face sth are both possible. (But the thing is I need to come up with the definition myself. As for a research, one should define all the variables.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back