Any adjective for a person who 'bears a grudge' against others, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Could anyone please give me any word describing such a person? Does 'grudgie' exist in BrE?! :)

Hi,
Could anyone please give me any word describing such a person? Does 'grudgie' exist in BrE?! :)

"Grudgie" definitely does not exist.

Hi,

You could possibly use 'vindictive'. But would largely depend on context.

Consider resentful and embittered.

What about 'grumpy'?

What about 'grumpy'?

Sorry, Esgaleth, but grumpy doesn't come close.

Please state that you are not a teacher when attempting to answer questions.

Rover

Sorry, Esgaleth, but grumpy doesn't come close.

:up: ... though when I saw the term 'grudgie' in the OP I wondered if they had misheard 'grouchy' - which is used in some informal situations (but, like 'grumpy', it isn't appropriate). I also wondered if they had coined 'grudgee' - wrong in so many ways!

b

:up: ... though when I saw the term 'grudgie' in the OP I wondered if they had misheard 'grouchy' - which is used in some informal situations (but, like 'grumpy', it isn't appropriate). I also wondered if they had coined 'grudgee' - wrong in so many ways!

b

I also wondered about "grudgee" but then realised that would be the person on the other end of the grudge. The person holding the grudge would be the "grudger" or "grudgor" surely!

But as you say, none of those words exist anyway.

I also wondered about "grudgee" but then realised that would be the person on the other end of the grudge. The person holding the grudge would be the "grudger" or "grudgor" surely!

It's a pity: "grudger" I find descriptive and easy to remember (like "shooter", "biker", etc.) And don't call me Shirley! :lol:

Aha ;-). An employee is someone who is employed, a payee is someone who is paid: no problem -something's done to him. That fits in with the French 'past participle passive', ending -é[e] (for -er verbs).

However certain French verbs, such as s'échapper, take être rather than avoir, and the participle agrees with the subject. An escapee has escaped; a refugee has fled.... The word 'refugee' came over with the Huguenots; I'm not sure about 'escapee; (or maybe it's the other way round - I forget;-))

These two (and maybe others, hence the "...") muddied the waters, so that you can't depend on an '-ee' being on the receiving end of something. Other '-ee' words further muddy the waters, as the '-ee' is not attached to a verb: a bargee is on the end of something - a bargepole ;-) - but not on the receiving end. Today, much to the distaste of some of us, people use words like retiree and attendee, and coin similar words will nilly.

But as you say, this probably isn't worth worrying about.

b

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back