[General] Let’s see what your tricks are really worth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Is the sentence structure correct here "Let’s see what your tricks are really worth!"? It sound a little awkwark to me.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it does sound awkward. The awkwardness rather obscures its meaning. ;-) What are you trying to say:'Let's see how good your tricks are'? 'Lets see what your trinkets are really worth'? Something else? What sort of tricks are you talking about, and what sort of worth are you talking about?

b

Marina Gaidar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, it does sound awkward. The awkwardness rather obscures its meaning. ;-) What are you trying to say:'Let's see how good your tricks are'? 'Lets see what your trinkets are really worth'? Something else? What sort of tricks are you talking about, and what sort of worth are you talking about?

b

Yes, something like "Let's see how good your tricks are!". How can I say this properly? By tricks I mean someone's fighting abilities.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The modern, colloquial expression is '[Come on [then]]. Let's see what you['ve] got.' There's no need to refer to fighting or tricks. Even just 'Give it your best shot.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.