Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will use this statement (widely misattributed to Ayn Rand on the internet) simply as context for my question about style:

The question is not “who is going to let me?” The question is “who is going to stop me?”

Is this the proper way to write this sort of "The question is..." statement? Versions I can imagine are:

1. As a statement. The question is not who is going to let me. The question is who is going to stop me.
2. As a formal question. The question is not, “Who is going to let me?” The question is, “Who is going to stop me?”
3. With colon. The question is not: “Who is going to let me?” The question is: “Who is going to stop me?”

Or maybe the first version above is correct? Or something else?

Let me add this. It seems that such "questions" are sometimes posed not as formal questions, but just as something offered for consideration. Maybe something like this:

The question is not is anyone concerned. The question is will anyone actually take responsibility and do something.

In some ways this seems like a more simple construction, easier to follow, without the use of quotation marks and questions marks. But I really do not know. Appreciate the comments of others.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There is no 'proper way' as far as I'm concerned. All three numbered variations are fine, in my view, depending on what you want to do.

The question is not is anyone concerned. The question is will anyone actually take responsibility and do something.

This is a bit different. The way you've done it above is not right. If you don't want to make reference to the exact wording of the question, write it like this:

The question is not whether anyone is concerned. The question is whether anyone will actually take responsibility and do something.

If you do for some reason want to focus more directly on the precise wording of the question, then you need to punctuate and capitalise accordingly:

The question is not 'Is anyone is concerned?' The question is 'Will anyone actually take responsibility and do something?'

Notice in this latter sentence that I haven't felt a need for either a comma or a colon before quoting the question.

smalltalk

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you judfrank. I find this a very reasonable and discerning response. "Whether" — yes, much better. Thank you.