Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Could somebody clarify some aspects of essay types?

To my understanding, there are several kinds of essays, but the 2 types most students in secondary school/ college learn and practice are:

1) Opinion-based essays, also known as persuasive or argumentative essays, where the writer clearly states their opinion or thesis in the very first paragraph and then sets out to argue in favor in the next 2 or 3 body paragraphs (they may dedicate one paragraph to counter-argue an opposing view as well). In the concluson, the write will sum up the key points using different words.

2) Balanced essays, also known as discursive or for-and-against essays, where the writer introduces 2 (opposing) views in the intro and proceeds in the next 2 or 3 body paragraphs to analyse them. In the conclusion the writer may opt to decide which is better, or just make a summary.

Am I correct? Am I missing anything? Please, feel free to correct me.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks right to me.

EyeSeeYou

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'm asking because different books seem to have different names for those two types of essays. And some of those names make things a bit confusing.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it would help us to give you a useful answer if we first know why you want to know what "most students in secondary school/ college learn and practice".

Are you in school? Which grade? What has provoked you to ask about types of essay?

EyeSeeYou

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Textbooks preparing students for the Cambridge international exams such as First Certificate, CAE, etc. or the IGCSE ones in language or literature deal with essay writing. I teach and after consulting several books, I've noticed this issue.