Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Is "can" the correct choice here, or should I use "be able to":
I don't know when I can come back to driving.
or
I don't know when I will be able to come back to driving.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Come back to driving" isn't natural so it's very hard to say what would be correct for the rest of the sentence.

Are you a driver (as your job) who has for some reason been unable to go to work for a while, due to sickness or something similar, and you are trying to say that you don't know when you will be able to return to work?
Have you been banned from driving by the police or the courts and you don't know when you will be allowed to drive again legally?

angelene001

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I had an accident and I broke my arm. What's more, now I'm afraid of driving.

I don't know when I will be able to drive again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Physically - "I don't know when I'll be able to drive again."
Mentally/emotionally - "I don't know when I'll feel able to drive again" or "I don't know when I'll be confident enough to drive again."

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Come back to driving" isn't natural so it's very hard to say what would be correct for the rest of the sentence.

Are you a driver (as your job) who has for some reason been unable to go to work for a while, due to sickness or something similar, and you are trying to say that you don't know when you will be able to return to work?
Have you been banned from driving by the police or the courts and you don't know when you will be allowed to drive again legally?
This may be a case of the difference between Ame and Bre, or, it may be that the phrase is only used among professional drivers. As a former professional driver, I found this statement to be very natural. While talking to a nephew yesterday he asked me the same question.

Status
Not open for further replies.