Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "[FONT=돋움]made the varsity team" mean "become a member of the varsity team"? Then, as an organizer, do you have to say "organize the varsity team" in terms of organization? In this case, can't "make" work?
[/FONT]
st156) A young man walked up to his high school gym. A paper (tacked/tacking) to the wall listed the players who (have/had) made the varsity team. Fifteen-(year/years)-old Michael Jordan looked up and down the list. He could not find his name. Michael Jordan is considered by most experts (to be/being) the best basketball player ever. But he had to believe in himself to get there. By the time many basketball players reach the tenth grade, they are receiving hundreds of letters from college coaches (seeking/sought) to recruit (them/themselves) into their programs. However, Michael Jordan didn't receive a single letter, because Michael Jordan didn't make the team. Michael Jordan didn't give up. He believed in himself and in his ability, and he practiced and practiced. The next year he made the team and he became its star. Rejection spells failure only if you do not believe in yourself. For those who believe, it is only a challenge.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'To make the team' means to be picked for the team, after proving to be good enough for it.

It has nothing to do with organising it.

Rover

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
"Made the varsity team" means, to me, a bit more.
It means: "was selected as a member ....."

Similarly, "didn't make the team" would mean "wasn't selected as a member of the team...."

You can become a member of many "teams" by just showing up and expressing an interest, but not in these cases.

Hope this helps
R21

Oops! Rover just pipped me to the post!

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I mean, how do you say when you want to make a team as a coach or an organizer? You can't use "make" in that case?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I mean, how do you say when you want to make a team as a coach or an organizer? You can't use "make" in that case?
You form, build, set up, select, choose, pick, etc a team; you don't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.