If the condition so requires, a public holiday would be a working day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Should 'will' be used instead? Thanks.

engloshy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
First of all, your sentence is incorrect grammatically, how ?! When you want to use "if" with would, the " if clause" must be in past present and the result clause has "would". In addition, I am kind of unfamiliar with that use of "the" in your sentence.

Anyhow, It depends on what you aim to say "your intention". So, in your provided sentence, seams the condition would not happen or require. But, if you want to see that the condition does probably happen/require, you will use "will". Therefore, using "would" with "if" statement, stands for a thing would not happen as a normal or expected deed. Use this page for further help Conditionals

vidplaylist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Should 'will' be used instead? Thanks.

I am also struggling with real and unreal situation to decide whether to use will or would. Let see someone can help us.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As a whole, it's quite an unclear sentence.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's an odd sentence. A public holiday is, by definition, not a working day (ie everyone is allowed to not work that day, regardless of what day of the week it is). I wonder if they mean that they would be happy to allow a public holiday to fall on what would normally be a working day (Monday to Friday, inclusive). However, since the whole point of a public holiday is that it's usually a working day on which no-one has to work, I see little point in them wondering that.

Where did you find this sentence?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks. emsr.

It is a sentence written by a friend of mine. I posted it to check whether the sentence is in order.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you can tell, it caused confusion and we didn't know what it was supposed to mean.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Barb.

I will let my friend know that her sentence doesn't make sense.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I do not find the sentence confusing. To me it means that if need be, people are expected to come to work on a public holiday.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First of all, your sentence is incorrect grammatically, how ?! When you want to use "if" with would, the " if clause" must be in past present and the result clause has "would". In addition, I am kind of unfamiliar with that use of "the" in your sentence.

Engloshy, please read this extract from the forum's Posting Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Rover

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Chicken Sandwich. The only thing I would change is the beginning: If the conditions so require...
This sounds like a part of or an explanation of a law or policy.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then say something like "It may be necessary to work on holidays."

engloshy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Where is my answer??!! The guy asked about grammar, and I answered them correctly grammatically. You guys are talking about the meaning. It is extremely wrong for you. You must focus on grammar. For instance, My " big elephant flew yesterday ". Is it a correct sentence? Yes, it is. Do not care about the real life, our point is GRAMMAR.

Anyway. I do not know where is my respond.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where is my answer?[STRIKE]?!![/STRIKE] The guy asked about grammar, and I answered them correctly grammatically. You guys are talking about the meaning. It is extremely wrong [strike]for[/strike] of you. You must focus on grammar. For instance, My " big elephant flew yesterday ". Is it a correct sentence? Yes, it is. Do not care about the real life, our point is GRAMMAR.

Anyway. I do not know where [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] my [STRIKE]respond[/STRIKE] response is.

I don't know where you got the idea that we only focus on grammar on this site. That is incorrect. We look at every aspect of a post: capitalisation, punctuation, grammar and meaning. We correct and comment on all of those aspects. I don't know what response you are referring to. I can't see a missing post anywhere on this thread. One of your responses was deleted by another moderator on another thread because it was unhelpful and incorrect.

I notice that you are failing to start all your posts with "I am not a teacher" as required by the forum guidelines.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is very little point in writing a grammatical sentence if the meaning is not what you intended it to be.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I do not find the sentence confusing. To me it means that if need be, people are expected to come to work on a public holiday.

It's very clear that something like that is intended. We all see that. It's just that the sentence is so poorly constructed as to leave most of the meaning out. Obviously it is a legal notice, a condition of employment.

Does it refer to market conditions? A previously mentioned condition, such as a medical condition? The number of customers in a boutique? The number of credit card transactions per day at Sogo in Wan Chai? The stock markets internationally?

And what of the public holiday becoming a working day? Does this refer to the entire nation? From now on? Or just to the employees of one company? For just the one day?

The sentence is absolute pifflesnort.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ah, pifflesnort. My new word of the week!

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What is the meaning of pifflesnort?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's an odd sentence. A public holiday is, by definition, not a working day (ie everyone is allowed to not work that day, regardless of what day of the week it is). I wonder if they mean that they would be happy to allow a public holiday to fall on what would normally be a working day (Monday to Friday, inclusive). However, since the whole point of a public holiday is that it's usually a working day on which no-one has to work, I see little point in them wondering that.

Where did you find this sentence?

Surely some people work on Holidays. There have to be hospitals and trains and power plants. The original post seems to me to be stating that sometimes you will need to work on a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.