Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1647465467158.png

Hello foreros,

The above screenshot is actually a list of synonyms/ slang terms describing something being in a spoiled or ruined condition. How many of them are you familiar with? Which ones exactly? I'd like to know the ones that could be employed in everyday conversation; The ones that don't feel dated or old-fashioned to you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What exactly are "foreros"?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Which word to use depends on the object and the context.
I don't see the words "out of order/not working/dilapidated/derelict/run down" in the list.

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello @emsr2d2.
It's utilized to refer to forum members. Not sure, but I'd reckon the word comes from Spanish. :)
It's certainly not "utilised" here. Please don't refer to us that way again. Use only English words in your posts. And it's "used", not "utilised".

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I don't really understand what the fuss here is about.
And it's "used", not "utilised".
What makes you say this? Here's what my dictionary says,
utilize verb [transitive] [formal]
to use something

This room is mainly utilized for training purposes.
What criteria do you utilize in selecting employees?
Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners CD-ROM 2nd Edition. CD-ROM © Macmillan Publishers Limited 2007. Text © A&C Black Publishers Ltd 2007.

Just for the record, I'm not supposed to be here to bandy crooked words with you _ nor do I have any proclivity for doing so. I've come here for a reason and the reason is to ameliorate my proficiency in English. If you are disinclined to answer my question, just simply ignore it. Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just for the record, I'm not supposed to be here to bandy crooked words with you _ nor do I have any proclivity for doing so. I've come here for a reason and the reason is to ameliorate my proficiency in English. If you are disinclined to answer my question, just simply ignore it. Thank you.
We do our best to help people improve their English. Most teachers of BrE would tell you that 'utilised'sounded a little pretentious in your sentence; 'used' is more natural. Similarly. 'improve' is more natural than 'ameliorate' in the sentence I have quoted. This is a forum, so you are under no obligation to listen to our advice, but we will keep on giving our suggestions; other members may benefit from them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just for the record, I'm not supposed to be here to bandy crooked words with you, nor do I have any proclivity for doing so. I've come here for a reason and the reason is to ameliorate my proficiency in English. If you are disinclined to answer my question, just simply ignore it. Thank you.
We always try to make learners' English more natural. If that's not what you want, I won't respond in any more of your threads. I do have one final bit of advice though - all the following from the quote above sound pretentious/old-fashioned/unnatural:

- to bandy crooked words with you
- proclivity
- ameliorate

I can assure you that if you insist on using phrases like those in general conversation, you're going to get some very strange looks. Here's what a native speaker would say (just for info):

I'm not here to argue with you and I don't want to. I'm just here to improve my English. If you don't want to answer my question, you can ignore it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not here to argue with you and I don't want to. I'm just here to improve my English. If you don't want to answer my question, you can ignore it.
As a former IELTS and CAE examiner, I just want to say that your version would gain a higher mark in those examinations than Mnemon's highfalutin version.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Highfalutin was a nice shot! 👍

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've come here for a reason and the reason is to ameliorate improve my proficiency in English.

Then you're in the right place. Our aim is to help you improve your use of English. If we point out that you've used certain vocab items inaccurately, you'd do very well to take notice.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In my opinion, the use of less common, bombastic words in writing does not necessarily impress discerning readers; it has the reverse effect. Appropriateness/aptness in the use of words is more important.

Last edited:

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As a former IELTS and CAE examiner, I just want to say that your version would gain a higher mark in those examinations than Mnemon's highfalutin version.
That's not an accurate statement, particularly when it comes to GRE. I've never been an IELTS examiner, but I've been told different.
I've come here for a reason and the reason is to ameliorate improve my proficiency in English.
Our aim is to help you improve your use of English. If we point out that you've used certain vocab items inaccurately, you'd do very well to take notice.
If that's how you want to help me (and others) improve our use of English, then you'll fail pretty dismally. Shall we say "dismally" or "abysmally" in this case, Jutfrank?
"Ameliorate" in the above quote may be seen as formal, pompous, highfalutin, turgid, turbid or even antediluvian, but it's 100% accurate.

1647575949078.png
====================================================================================================
1647576062983.png

Those screenshots have been taken from the book, Essential Words for the GRE.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They don't all mean the same- if something is on the rocks, it is in trouble, but that does not mean it is f&cked.

Status
Not open for further replies.