Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Conditionals of type 1 (that is open condition) tell us that something will happen if a certain condition is fulfilled. The condition may or may not be fulfilled."

There are two parts in conditional sentence
1. If clause or condition clause and
2. Result clause.

In a conditional sentence if a condition clause fulfilled then result clause also fulfilled so it is positive sentence and if a condition clause is not fulfilled then result clause also not fulfilled so it is negative sentence right?

So in example sentence If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation. This sentence is positive sentence so both condition clause and result clause fulfilled by it's positive condition. And this applies same to a negative sentence as If I don't find her address, I won't send her an invitation. In this sentence both condition clause and result clause also fulfilled by it's negative condition.

So finally in 1st sentence by it's positive nature the condition is fulfilled and same as in negative sentence that is the condition is fulfilled by it's negative nature of sentence. So in type 1 open conditional clauses the condition is always fulfilled whether it is in positive nature or in negative nature. If this is correct then why we say the condition may or may not be fulfilled. Am I right?

I am not understanding what exactly the meaning and usage is of "may not be fulfilled". So could you please explain this with few examples?

Last edited:
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.
1- Always tell us the source of anything you quote. It is a legal requirement.
2- Break up your text, and pay better attention to the punctuation.
For example:

So in example sentence For example: "If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation".

I am not understanding what exactly don't understand the meaning and usage is of "may not be fulfilled". So Could you please explain this with a few examples?
First, tell us where you found the sentence you quoted at the start of your post.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.
1- Always tell us the source of anything you quote. It is a legal requirement.
2- Break up your text, and pay better attention to the punctuation.
For example:
First, tell us where you found the sentence you quoted at the start of your post.
Conditionals of type 1 (that is open condition) tell us that something will happen if a certain condition is fulfilled. The condition may or may not be fulfilled." This in wren and martin high school English grammar book. And I didn't understand so i searched in Google i found example same as I mentioned.

I'm guessing that your question is about "may or may not be fulfilled". That's another way of saying it might happen and it might not. The speaker doesn't know which it is.

Each of the two clauses can be positive or negative.

1. If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.
2. If I find her address, I won't need to ask her sister for it.

The conditional situation, that of my finding her address, may be fulfilled (I find her address) or it may not (I don't find her address).

3. If I don't find her address, I won't send her an invitation.
4. If I don't find her address, I will ask her sister for it..

The conditional situation, that of my not finding her address, may be fulfilled (I don't find her address) or it may not (I do find her address).

This was taken in from the book High School English Grammar and Composition book by Wren & Martin. And I didn't understand it so I searched in Google and I found the example same as I mentioned.
Remember to capitalise book titles correctly and use the full name. (I Googled what you'd called it and found the correct title.)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back