Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have hear the phrases mostly in American English.

"View someone/something in a very/really positive/negative light."

When you view someone in a positive light. Does it mean that you create of a positive picture of that person in mind? and similarly when you view someone in a negative light, does it mean that you create a negative image of that person in your mind?

Does the expression also mean that you are forming a positive or negative opinion of a person with or without actually judging him?

When you view some event in a positive light. Does it mean that it is accepted to you and you regard it as a welcomed or healthy activity? And when you view some event in a negative like, does it mean that you don't like it?

Regards,
Aamir the Global citizen

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have heard these phrases mostly in American English.

"View someone/something in a very/really positive/negative light."

When you view someone in a positive light, does it mean that you create [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] a positive picture of that person in your mind? [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Similarly, when you view someone in a negative light, does it mean that you create a negative image of that person in your mind?

Does the expression also mean that you are forming a positive or negative opinion of a person with or without actually judging him/her?

When you view some event in a positive light, does it mean that it is [STRIKE]accepted[/STRIKE] acceptable to you and you regard it as a [STRIKE]welcomed[/STRIKE] welcome or healthy activity? [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] When you view some event in a negative [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] light, does it mean that you don't like it?

[STRIKE]Regards,
Aamir the Global citizen[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

I would say that seeing something or someone in a positive light is more like concentrating on the positive aspects of it/them. Conversely, seeing it/them in a negative light means that you concentrate more on the negative aspects.
I wouldn't say that seeing an event in a positive light necessarily means you find it welcome or healthy, although in some contexts that might be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.