Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hey guys,

Sorry for posting a stupid question here:oops:

I am not sure if the following sentence shall be in passive form or not.

The prospect of a nation ''is'' revealed through...

A native speaker of English told me ''is'' is redundant in this context, whilst my friend, an English teacher (non-native speaker) holds different opinion.

Could you guys kindly offer me some guidance?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

First, there are hardly any stupid questions. If you have two different opinions on a topic, I, personally, find it just natural to ask again and see what people think of it.

Then, going to the question itself, I'd say it is not redundant, unless a wider context proves me wrong. Could you provide some of the surrounding sentences, or a link to the original text?

First, there are hardly any stupid questions. If you have two different opinions on a topic, I, personally, find it just natural to ask again and see what people think of it.

Then, going to the question itself, I'd say it is not redundant, unless a wider context proves me wrong. Could you provide some of the surrounding sentences, or a link to the original text?

Thank you for your response, charliedeut:-D

The whole sentence reads ''The prospect of a nation ''is'' revealed through a glance at its universities.'' But I wonder if ''The prospect of a nation reveals through a glance at its universities'' is correct as well.

The answers from my friends seem to be contradictory...So really hope you guys don't mind giving me some thoughts about this query.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back