... snow enclosure near the camp being almost wholly destroyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"None of the dogs survived, their hurriedly built snow enclosure near the camp being almost wholly destroyed. The wind may have done that, though the greater breakage on the side next the camp, which was not the windward one, suggests an outward leap or break of the frantic beasts themselves."
I'm a bit confused by the part in bold. The way it's "being" and not "was" here make me unsure of how the 2nd half of the sentence relate to the 1st half. Is it:

A) None of the dogs survived because their snow enclosure was almost wholly destroyed.

or

B) None of the dogs survived, and also, their snow enclosure was almost wholly destroyed.

or is the relationship between these two halves here something else?

Source: "At the Mountains of Madness" by H. P. Lovecraft

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Also posted here.

I know that you're a new member, but in future, please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"None of the dogs survived, their hurriedly built snow enclosure near the camp being almost wholly destroyed. The wind may have done that, though the greater breakage on the side next the camp, which was not the windward one, suggests an outward leap or break of the frantic beasts themselves."
Source: "At the Mountains of Madness" by H. P. Lovecraft
I'm a bit confused by the part in bold. The way it's "being" and not "was" here make me unsure of how the 2nd second half of the sentence relates to the 1st first half. Is it: Which of the following is equivalent to the original?

A) None of the dogs survived because their snow enclosure was almost wholly destroyed.
or
B) None of the dogs survived, and also, their snow enclosure was almost wholly destroyed.

or If it's neither, is the relationship between these two halves here something else?
To help you when posting questions in future, please note my changes to the layout above. Always put the source information directly after the quote.
I have made some other corrections too.

Status
Not open for further replies.