Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Please check the sentence:

At first, our plane was cancelled and we couldn't (were not able to) leave in(?) the day we planned (were planning/had planned?), then we realised that we should have paid extra money to change airlines.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please check the sentence:

At first, our plane was cancelled and we couldn't (were not able to [Both are correct. "Couldn't" or "weren't able to" are informal/spoken; "could not", or "were not able to" are more formal/written] leave in(?) [No: use "on"] the day we planned (were planning/had planned?). [All are correct] [Start a new sentence here] Then we realised that we should have paid extra money to change airlines.

I hope this helps.

elenaekat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Belgium
Thanks Grumpy!
Just one more question. Which one do you prefer when you speak?

on the day we planned/were planning/had planned?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say "were planning" if your planning process was still in progress, and "had planned" if you had finished the planning process.

As a personal aside - shared by lots of other aged aviators - I always call an aeroplane an "aeroplane", or an "aircraft". A "plane" is a tool for shaving thin layers of wood...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to use the word "aircraft" when I worked in an official capacity at an airport. In my everyday speech, it's always a "plane". I don't think I've ever used the word "aeroplane" except when teaching, and then I always say that the more common word is "plane". Context will almost always tell us whether it's an aeroplane or a tool for shaving wood which was the intended meaning.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used to use the word "aircraft" when I worked in an official capacity at an airport. In my everyday speech, it's always a "plane". I don't think I've ever used the word "aeroplane" except when teaching, and then I always say that the more common word is "plane". Context will almost always tell us whether it's an aeroplane or a tool for shaving wood which was the intended meaning.

Dear emsr2d2

I know, I know.... I wasn't seriously suggesting that anyone would mistake a woodworking tool for an aircraft.

As I said, this sensitivity about the word is probably confined to aviators of a certain age; certainly amongst military aviators of a certain age.
Have you ever seen the old film "Reach For The Sky", about Douglas Bader? Early on in his training at Cranwell [in the late 1920's], he refers to an Avro 504 as a "plane". His instructor says something like, "NEVER, NEVER call it a plane, laddie. It's an AEROplane!!" That same ethos was drummed into me and my contemporaries when I did my flying training at Cranwell some forty years later, and I'm stuck with it, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.