Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
'There are many clouds in the sky. Why 'many' instead of 'plenty of ', 'lots of' ? They are used in the affirmative sentenses .

So is 'many'.

I see
'as a determiner followed by a plural noun' (Macmillan dictionary).
I was recommended to use it in the questions before .

The presenter of that lesson is not correct when he says that 'much' is a mistake. 'A lot of' is indeed far more commonly used in affirmative sentences, but 'much' is correct, and not uncommon in more formal speech and writing.

For some reason I can't get that link to work but I'm assuming no-one here or on YouTube is suggesting that "There are much clouds ..." is correct.

For some reason I can't get that link to work but I'm assuming no-one here or on YouTube is suggesting that "There are much clouds ..." is correct.

The sentence that was called incorrect is "He spends much time preparing for exams."

But... it's much more common to use "much" in the negative. He doesn't spend much time preparing.

It's the argument about what is absolutely correct or incorrect versus what is likely to be said.

Hi Emsr2d2, you have written "for some reason". I can't understand it and also I am bit confused. Shouldn't it be "for some reasons"?

No — the standard expression is 'for some reason'. It means 'for an unknown or unspecified reason'.

It means only one reason or more than it?

Got it. I was confused about the word "some". Would "for some reasons" be incorrect?

Yes. If you know the reasons you say 'I hate London for several reasons' before going on to specify them.

If you don't know why something doesn't work (as in emsr2d2's case) you say 'for some (unknown) reason' ('unknown' is optional).

I was warned against writing any 'thanks' without any new information but I like your contest so much. Thanks.

I mean your discussion.

Definition N3
Contest | Define Contest at Dictionary.com

Many windows
Many floors
Many people
Many stores
Many streets
And many bangings
Many whistles
Many clangings
Many,many,many,many-