but also people in many countries around the world celebrate this day to enjoy Irish culture.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Nowadays, not only do people in Ireland celebrate it, but also people in many countries around the world celebrate this day to enjoy Irish culture. (My bold.)
Source: Kangxuan
Can I rewrite the quoted sentence as follows?
Nowadays, not only do people in Ireland celebrate it, (but) people in many countries around the world also celebrate this day to enjoy Irish culture.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nowadays, not only do people in Ireland celebrate it, but also people in many countries around the world celebrate this day to enjoy Irish culture. (My bold.)
Source: Kangxuan Educational Publishing Group.

Nowadays, not only do people in Ireland celebrate it, (but) people in many countries around the world also celebrate this day to enjoy Irish culture.
It's OK, but I prefer the original. As for Irish culture, I'm not sure what bar-hopping has to do with that. 😊

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Source: Kangxuan Educational Publishing Group.
Is the word "do" obligatory, optional or redundant?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The whole thing is very confusing unless you explain that you're talking about St Patrick's Day.
I don't like "enjoy Irish culture". They're not enjoying it, they're celebrating it. That's why it's called a celebration.
I wouldn't open with "not only do people". I'd start with "XXX is not only celebrated/XXX is celebrated not only/just ...".
To sum up, here's what I would say:

St Patrick's Day is celebrated not just in Ireland; people all over the world now spend the day celebrating Irish culture.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Kangxuan is a publisher of textbooks in Taiwan. I don't know who wrote the sentence.
In that case, that's not sufficient information for a source. You should know by now that we need the title of the book and the name(s) of the author(s). The name of a publishing company is never enough.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
In that case, that's not sufficient information for a source. You should know by now that we need the title of the book and the name(s) of the author(s). The name of a publishing company is never enough.
It's not quoted from a book. It's quoted from a handout of three pages, published by Kangxuan Educational Publishing Group. Kangxuan's salesperson gave the handouts to teachers for free.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not quoted from a book. It's quoted from a handout of three pages, published by Kangxuan Educational Publishing Group. Kangxuan's salesperson gave the handouts to teachers for free.
OK. Perhaps the next time you see that salesperson, you could point out to them that you sometimes quote the material externally so you need to be able to provide the full source. Hopefully, they'll be able to tell you all the information you need.