[Idiom] key off

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a phrase I have heard before, but the context ["so pretty soon you start keying off each other.."] makes it clear that it is being used to mean two individuals inspiring one another. It is similar to "bouncing ideas off" one another.

Thanks for your answers Grumpy and MikeNewYork.

So, can I say from your answers that this is a known phrase in the USA and not in the UK?

So, can I say from your answers that this is a known phrase in the USA and not in the UK?

It is known in the US, but I wouldn't say it was common.

That would be a questionable generalisation. You've only heard from one person in each country.

That would be a questionable generalisation. You've only heard from one person in each country.

Well, you may be right in terms of logic but I see our teachers including you as very good represantatives of their languages. It's the advantage of picking from the top shelf.

You're too kind.:oops:

It's the advantage of picking from the top shelf.

A shelf which, in the UK, we share with magazines of questionable morality (and ever-diminishing quality). ;-)

If it's a fashionable usage and appears in a few TV series, you can bet that it will start being used in the UK too. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back