Interested in Language
Native Language
Tonga
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

What is the adjective that goes before the word "teacher" to mean a teacher who goes round many schools or places to teach? I've heard this word several times but just can't remember it. It's used in the context of, for example, several schools sharing the same teacher and it sounds something like "paratectic teachers" (but it's not that :))

Thank you!

Hi,

What is the adjective that goes before the word "teacher" to mean a teacher who goes round many schools or places to teach? I've heard this word several times but just can't remember it. It's used in the context of, for example, several schools sharing the same teacher and it sounds something like "paratectic teachers" (but it's not that :))

Thank you!

"Supply teacher".

"Supply teacher".
Thank you, bhaisahab!
But it's not "supply". It's something which sounds like, as I said earlier, "paratectic/ peritetic...". A definitely more learned word.

Yes, it's "peripatetic"! I'll have to repeat the word 100 times now :)

Thank you all!

I learned a new word too. Must the teacher walk from school to school, or is motor transport allowed?

(

I learned a new word too. Must the teacher walk from school to school, or is motor transport allowed?

(

I suspect motorized transportation is allowed. :-D

I suspect motorized transportation is allowed. :-D

It is, and a mileage allowance is sometimes payable.

@learningnotes — if you can't remember 'peripatetic', say 'visiting'.

Rover

I learnt this word in 1981. I had a penpal in Finland and I was lucky enough to visit her family in Turku for three weeks in July/August 1981. Her mum was a peripatetic English teacher and for the final two days of my holiday, I went to work with her mum, travelling round five or six different schools. I was only 12 but her mum let me help with the classes - I was (and still am!) a native English speaker and I imagine the schoolchildren had never met one before. Mind you, they had never met a brunette before and they were certainly far more interested in my hair colour than my pronunciation! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back