Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Was it better to risk certain death by sitting close together on a small crowded open boat with very little food and water? Or should one stay on the “Bounty” with the crew and face certain death from the British Navy if caught? The drawback of staying on the ship seemed to ______as I thought about how wrong it was to treat Captain Bligh in this way. So I joined him in the small boat.

A. build B . grow

I learn from the dictionary that both have the meaning of "increase, become stronger". So I think both are suitable in this case.

Are they naturally collocated?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use B.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'd use B.
Thanks, Tdol.

So we cannot say the drawback is building over time.

Or can you tell me the difference between the two words associated with the meaning of "increase"?

Thanks!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with TDol, but I find the use of "drawback" a little odd here. Was that in the original script? I've seen the movie with Brando several times, but haven't read the book. :oops:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I agree with TDol, but I find the use of "drawback" a little odd here. Was that in the original script? I've seen the movie with Brando several times, but haven't read the book. :oops:

I find "drawback" odd too.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I got stuck on "risk certain death." You either risk death, or face certain death, but how do you risk certain death?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, Tdol.

So we cannot say the drawback is building over time. No, Tdol said that he would say B, and gave no indication whether A was acceptable.

Or can you tell me the difference between the two words associated with the meaning of "increase"?

Thanks!
The main difference, as I see it, is that organic things grow - they grow by themselves. Non-organic things are built. But we can use 'build' with abstract terms - anxiety, excitement, etc. I agree that a drawback doesn't build, but then it doesn't grow either. The number of drawbacks could build, but I'd still use 'grow' there.

Status
Not open for further replies.