Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
If I was to say that all Subject Complements are Predicate Adjectives and all Object Complements are either Postpositive, or Predicative Adjectives, would this statement be accurate?

E.G.

_The clown got the children too excited. This is after the noun, which is children, and before a copula; therefore, exited here is a Postpositive Adjective, right?

_The convention named Dogbreath Vice President to keep him happy. Again, after the noun, which is Dogbreath, but after the copula; therefore, happy here is a Predicative Adjective.

This is to say that all adjectives that come after their noun are either Postpositive, or Predicative... never Attributative. Complements are never Attributive. True?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I was to say that all Subject Complements are Predicate Adjectives and all Object Complements are either Postpositive, or Predicative Adjectives, would this statement be accurate?
Probably not.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

E.G.

_The clown got the children too excited. This is after the noun, which is children, and before a copula; therefore, exited here is a Postpositive Adjective, right?

_The convention named Dogbreath Vice President to keep him happy. Again, after the noun, which is Dogbreath, but after the copula; therefore, happy here is a Predicative Adjective.

This is to say that all adjectives that come after their noun are either Postpositive, or Predicative... never Attributative. Complements are never Attributive. True?

Your question is pretty complicated, mostly because it mixes terminologies used to describe words. In response to your first statement, I would say that the first clause is incorrect. Predicate adjectives are subject complements, but so are predicate nominatives. For your second clause, I would say that predicate adjectives are not object complements because there is no direct object of a linking verb. By definition (at least some definitions) an object complement is placed postpositively, but not all postpositive adjectives are object complements. To call them that requires the noun to be a direct object. Some attributive adjectives are postpositive by their nature. One could, I guess, call them "noun complements", but I don't know why one would. As to your last sentence, I don't think I would state it that way.

I happened to wander across the page from which your example sentences originated. I suggest you go back and read the page again.

See: Predicates, Objects, Complements

c3d8

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
So all predicate adjectives are subject complements, though not all subject complements are predicate adjectives, and no predicate adjectives is an object complement. Oll korrect, okeh and off to Kinderhook, thank you MikeNewYork, I understand that much now. I do have a few other questions in regards to the other two, or three "functions" of adjectives, but I'll reserve them for another thread. Any other questions I have in regards to this thread I'll post after I have a better understanding of the other adjectival functions.

c3d8

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
Some attributive adjectives are postpositive by their nature.

I must admit that I don't understand this statement. Attributive adjective means before the noun, hence the prefix at-(assimilated ad-) which means to, or before.
Postpositive is after the noun, but before the copula, and a predicative is after the copula.

I'm having trouble finding evidence to support this, perhaps you mistyped? If an attributive adjective is placed postpositively... it would become a postpositive adjective.
Am I wrong??

c3d8

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
By definition (at least some definitions) an object complement is placed postpositively, but not all postpositive adjectives are object complements. To call them that requires the noun to be a direct object.

So the postpositive adjective can also be an adjectival phrase head, or a noun phrase modifier... or both?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
So the postpositive adjective can also be an adjectival phrase head, or a noun phrase modifier... or both?

Please give your correct location in your profile.

Last edited by a moderator:

c3d8

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
Post deleted. Inappropriate language.

Last edited by a moderator: