Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
China
Hello,

I have a question about a usage of the word "advise".
I think that if we use verb “advise” we should always use the objective case (you, him, her, it, us, them). We can use infinitive form with “to” (e.g. to do) or gerund form (doing).

I advise (you) to eat the apple.
I advise (you) eating the apple.

I advise (her) not to eat the apple.
I advise (her) not eating the apple.

or maybe it shoul be:

I advise your eating.
I advise his eating.
etc.

I know that if we use suggest and recommend we should use possesive e.g. "I recommend his doing something". "I suggest your doing something" etc. What about "advise" + verb+ing? Should I use possesive or objective case? Or maybe it's not possible to use advise with verb+ing at all?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Hello,

I have a question about a usage of the word "advise".
I think that if we use verb “advise” we should always use the objective case (you, him, her, it, us, them). We can use infinitive form with “to” (e.g. to do) or gerund form (doing).

I advise (you) to eat the apple. Correct with the "you" and incorrect without.
I advise (you) eating the apple. Correct without the "you" and incorrect with.

I advise (her) not to eat the apple. Correct with the "her" and incorrect without.
I advise (her) not eating the apple. Correct without the "her" and incorrect with.

or maybe it should be:

I advise your eating.
I advise his eating.
etc.

I know that if we use suggest and recommend we should use possesive e.g. "I recommend his doing something". "I suggest your doing something" etc. What about "advise" + verb+ing? Should I use possesive or objective case? Or maybe it's not possible to use advise with verb+ing at all?

Thank you in advance for any help!

If you want to omit the object pronoun, the common usage is "advise against." E.g.: I advise against eating the apple. "I advise" doing something is correct but somewhat uncommon.

It means that I can say:

"I recommend his doing something"

but I can't say:

"I advise his doing something"

or

"I advise him doing something"

I can only say:

"I advise him to do something"

Am I right?

Moderators?

Status
Not open for further replies.