Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
He got ready his golden car and Hermes took the reins and drove the black horses straight to the temple where Demeter was. She ran out to meet her daughter as swiftly as a Maenad runs down the mountainside. Persephone sprang into her arms and was held fast there. All day they talked of what had happened to them both, and Demeter grieved when she heard of pomegranate seed, fearing that she could not keep her daughter with her.
Source: Mythology The Two Great Gods of Earth - Part II 6th paragraph

Hello,
Would you please be kind enough to clarify the blue part to me? I really can not understand it.

Thank you so much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Source: Mythology The Two Great Gods of Earth - Part II 6th paragraph

Hello,
Would you please be kind enough to clarify the blue part to me? I really can not understand it.

Thank you so much.

Has there been a sentence in any of these Greek mythology books that you haven't had a problem with? It strikes me that you might be reading material above your level if you have to come to us multiple times a day with "I really cannot understand it" questions.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Has there been a sentence in any of these Greek mythology books that you haven't had a problem with?
I wish you could be more polite. Be a little patient please. This is a language forum and the books are my university suggestions.
I don't force anyone to answer my questions. If you like to answer, then answer it and if you don't like to answer then do not answer.
Why do you talk like that? Have I forced you to answer my questions?
I even have not broken the forum rules. I don't know why you say like that.
(I myself hate mythology but I am forced to read it because my university has suggested it. You talk to me as if I have said or asked a vulgar question. I respect all members and moderators and just ask a question which I really don't know the answer. For God's sake be a little even tempered. believe me the moderators in other forums are very kind. You are kind too but sometimes you say some sarcastic words that really break my heart)

Thank you for your helpful forum.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I wish you could be more polite.
I wish you would not assume that a reasonable comment is not polite.
You talk to me as if I have said or asked a vulgar question
Rubbish,
You are kind too but sometimes you say some sarcastic words that really break my heart)
Your heart is very easily broken!

You appear to be asking UE members to help you through a large part of your prescribed reading. In effect, you are going to gain a university qualification largely through the efforts of people here and in all the other forums in which you post your questions. Some people have stopped responding anyway, and if you show this sort of hyper-sensitivity, others will drop out.

Go away and find an English proverb about gift horses.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I wish you would not assume that a reasonable comment is not polite.Rubbish,Your heart is very easily broken!

You appear to be asking UE members to help you through a large part of your prescribed reading. In effect, you are going to gain a university qualification largely through the efforts of people here and in all the other forums in which you post your questions. Some people have stopped responding anyway, and if you show this sort of hyper-sensitivity, others will drop out.

Go away and find an English proverb about gift horses.
Isn't this a language forum? Have I forced anyone to answer my question? Have I called members by their names to answer my questions?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Isn't this a language forum? Have I forced anyone to answer my question? Have I called members by their names to answer my questions?
What are you going on about? Nobody yet has stopped you asking questions.

All that has happened is that you have decided that a comment "It strikes me that you might be reading material above your level if you have to come to us multiple times a day with "I really cannot understand it" questions" to be impolite. I have told you that it isn't. End of story.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry if the way I ask my questions has bothered you.
If the phrase "I really can not understand it" bothers you in my post, then I will not repeat (use) it.
Please accept my apology.
End of story.
:up:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is unfortunate that you took such umbrage at my comments. If your university course is demanding that you read texts that are above your level, then that is something you should take up with your tutor or head of department. Are the other students (whose native language is not English) having the same problems?

I am not bothered by the words "I cannot understand it" (note that it's "cannot", not "can not"). You should be bothered by the fact that you are having to spend an inordinate amount of time getting us to paraphrase huge chunks of your book. Again, your teacher/tutor needs to know that that is the case. It is going to be very difficult for you to complete your course when you are having to spend all this time getting explanations of every other sentence.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.