Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If I'm as a commentator, which should I choose to use first conditional or second conditional? For example, there is a Manchester City vs Manchester United match today and I'm watching them.

If Manchester United win today, it will put them in 5th place.
If Manchester United won today, it would put them in 5th place.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both are possible. The first suggests a more likely outcome.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
How do you know they're definitely going to win? Can you see into the future? I personally can't know for sure what will happen in the future. But you can.

Since I can't see into the future, I would probably use a second conditional because it's better for a hypothetical situation. The result hasn't be known.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How do you know they're definitely going to win?
I didn't say that. I said that the speaker of the first saw the outcome as more likely than the spealer of the second did.

Can you see into the future? I personally can't know for sure what will happen in the future. But you can.
Don't invent things.
Since I can't see into the future, I would probably use a second conditional because it's better for a hypothetical situation.
I don't see how it's 'better'.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's much more likely that a commentator or a presenter would use a real conditional, i.e., sentence 1.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
It's much more likely that a commentator or a presenter would use a real conditional, i.e., sentence 1.
Before the game kicks off, I imagine the situation. Man Utd could win or lose or probabaly play out a draw, so it's hypothetical. The result hasn't been known yet. To predict something, it's appropriate with a second conditional. That's my point.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

If,
the first word in the sentence, tells us very clearly that we are dealing with a possibility.

The second conditional is used for a future possibility that is considered le likey or unlikely orcounterfactual, or a present counterfactual situation.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If Manchester United win today, it will put them in 5th place. Possible
If Manchester United beat their opponents by twelve goals today today, it woud be a league record. Theoretically possible, but etremely unlikely.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I'm working as a commentator, which should I choose to use -- first conditional or second conditional? For example, there is a Manchester City vs Manchester United match today and I'm watching them.

If Manchester United won today, it would put them in 5th place.
The key word is "if". You know to a mathematical certainty that a win by ManU would put them in fifth place. So if they win they will be in fifth place.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Before the game kicks off, I imagine the situation. Man Utd could win or lose or probabaly play out a draw, so it's hypothetical. The result hasn't been known yet. To predict something, it's appropriate with a second conditional. That's my point.

The point is that a win for Manchester United is seen as a real possibility. It isn't merely hypothetical.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know about British English in this regard, but here we would say the two teams played to a draw.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
That makes sense. Now the game is underway, then Manchester United scores in the second half in 53th minutes and put them 1-0 in the lead. In this case, do you still use the first conditional?

Man Utd 1-0 Liverpool
53 mins: If Manchester United win, it would take them up to fifth./ A win for Manchester United would take them up to fifth.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's It's It's It's hard to know with certainty what I would say. However, I wouldn't quibble with either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.