Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's wrong with these three sentences? They sound correct to me!

1. The families were told to evacuate their houses immediately at the time when the water began to go up.
2. It was not until she had arrived home when she remembered her appointment with the doctor.
3. George would certainly have attended the proceedings had the tire not flattened itself.

Thanks!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's wrong with these three sentences? They sound correct to me!

1. The families were told to evacuate their houses immediately at the time when the water began to go up.
2. It was not until she had arrived home when she remembered her appointment with the doctor.
3. George would certainly have attended the proceedings had the tire not flattened itself.

Thanks!

I assume, from your past history here, that this is not homework.

1. I would change "go up" to "rise".
2. I would change "when" to "that".
3. I would change the end to "had he not had a flat tire". Tires do not flatten themselves.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm now convinced Mike. Apart from understanding your coherent explanations, only one more question left. Why did you change "when " to"that" in the second question?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm now convinced Mike. Apart from understanding your coherent explanations, only one more question left. Why did you change "when " to"that" in the second question.?

The standard phrasing is "It was not until ... that ...". If you want to use "when", it would be "It was when she arrived home that she remembered her appointment". Without "when" or "that", it's "She didn't remember her appointment with the doctor until she arrived home".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't believe that changing "go up" to "rise" changes 1 from an incorrect sentence to a correct one. It does change the sentence for the better though.

Last edited:

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So you mean it's not incorrect? Or maybe it's just an awkward sentence from your viewpoint?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So you mean it's not incorrect? Or maybe it's just an awkward sentence from your viewpoint?

It's an awkward sentence from my viewpoint. There are several problems. Water in a flood does not go up/rise 'immediately', so it's awkward saying the families were notified immediately the water started to rise. It's also ambiguous. Were they notified when the water began to rise, or were they meant to evacuate when the water began to rise. "At the time when" doesn't sound like natural English. What's wrong with just "when"? Or even less: "The families were told to evacuate their houses immediately the water began to rise." This is correct, but maybe not the most common way of expressing it, and it's still ambiguous. Sometimes we have to do with less than perfect sentences. I would not call the original 'incorrect'.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A possible disambiguation might be:
1. Immediately the waters began to rise, they were told to evacuate.
2. They were told that immediately the waters began to rise they should evacuate.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
2. They were told that immediately the waters began to rise they should evacuate.

Your second sentence doesn't work for me. They were told that if the waters began to rise they should evacuate immediately.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Your second sentence doesn't work for me. They were told that if the waters began to rise they should evacuate immediately.
I guess it depends on what they were told.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is this British/AusE phrasing?

This is out and out ungrammatical in the American dialect, but given your expertise and the people who liked it, it's clearly okay in yours.

We'd have to say "As soon as the waters began to rise."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is this British/AusE phrasing?

This is out and out ungrammatical in the American dialect, but given your expertise and the people who liked it, it's clearly okay in yours.

We'd have to say "As soon as the waters began to rise."
The 'immediately' is fine in BrE.

If we have no further context, then it could be read that that the waters were told to evacuate, However, I would assume that the sentences did appear in context. Nobody except my crusty old English master fifty years ago would take 'they' to mean anything but the people who received the warning.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"They stood ready to wave them immediately the train appeared."
"Robbie could have bitten her tongue out immediately the words escaped."
BYU-BNC

It's very hard to find examples of this construction, but it does appear (as above), and we do say it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"They stood ready to wave them immediately the train appeared."
"Robbie could have bitten her tongue out immediately the words escaped."
BYU-BNC

It's very hard to find examples of this construction, but it does appear (as above), and we do say it.

It is incorrect in AmE.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, Mike. We know that, because Barb has just told us.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm glad for this thread, because I would never have guessed that this phrasing was grammatical in any dialect. Now it's been added to my always-growing list of differences. It's the sort of thing that I probably would not be able to produce if I wanted dialogue to sound natural (thought I've got "at the weekend" and "in the street" down now), but I can now recognize it as being okay. A people divided by a common language, indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.