Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
A written communication is often closed with a kind line sending regards. In Spanish this has become common practice even in non-personal communications (v.g. professional or commercial). However, I am trying to get a better understanding of how this works in English.
I usually use expressions such as: Kind regards, warm regards, best regards or even just "regards". I have always assumed that this is OK, but will certainly appreciate any comments.
My real question is when you are sending a greeting to someone different from the recipient (such as a colleage or common friend). Is it OK to say "Please give my regards to X"?
Thanks!

"Send my regards to X" is formal.

"Say hi to X for me" is informal.

But I would not use that as the closing of my communication!

In a personal note, you can end with "My best to you and your family" or something similar, but even in a personal letter, I wouldn't end with a sentiment to someone else. That could be the second to last sentence instead.

My real question is when you are sending a greeting to someone different from the recipient (such as a colleage or common friend). Is it OK to say "Please give my regards to X"?

This is fine, but like Barb_D I would add a sentence after it to close the letter with regards to the recipient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back