Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've been translating an article about a Korean artist who works with "earth". I've noticed that I'm having trouble using the article in front of the word "earth" (meaning "soil").

Just wanted to know whether these are correct.

I love the earth.

I feel like a boy playing in the earth.

We're all born out of the earth.

He paints with earth. (no article).

He brings the earth from all of his foreign trips.

Please explain it to me. Thank you in advance.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Just use them without the article, and you have the intended meaning, soil. I would substitute the word soil in here and there as well, in case you're worried the reader may misunderstand, e.g. a boy playing in the soil / dirt / topsoil / hole in the ground.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm not getting it. konungsurvia, are you suggesting that I refrain from using the definite article before "earth" altogether in those sentences? Because (as they sometimes say in movies) in your example you're saying "playing in the soil". Really need this. Oh, those articles!

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've been translating an article about a Korean artist who works with "earth". I've noticed that I'm having trouble using the article in front of the word "earth" (meaning "soil").

I love the earth. This is fine if you mean that you love the planet.
This could be written:
I love the Earth - I love the planet
I love earth - Either, I love the planet (Earth) or I love the soil (earth).

I feel like a boy playing in the earth This is fine but dirt or soil are better choices - I feel like a boy playing in the dirt.

We're all born out of the earth Grammatically acceptable but I don't know what you mean.

He paints with earth. (no article) Grammatically acceptable but how does one paint with earth? Other meanings for earth are dirt or soil. I can't imagine anyone painting with dirt.

He brings the earth from all of his foreign trips Grammatically acceptable with or without "the", but it seems to be an impossible task. How about - He brings some soil from all of his foreign trips (He really can't bring the entire earth).

Earth is a planet as Mars is a planet. One can love the Earth and one can love Mars. Earth also refers to the upper part of the planet (soil) where plants can grow. When referring to the planet, "Earth". When referring to the actual material found in the upper layers of the planet - "earth", "soil" or "dirt". Using earth to refer to dirt or soil tends to confuse the reader unless the writer clearly defines what he/she is writing about.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I love the earth.
I would use this if talking about the planet: I love the Earth.
I would use this if talking about soil in a particular area: I love the earth in my garden. It's really soft.
If I was talking about soil generally, I would say "I love earth".

I feel like a boy playing in the earth.
I probably wouldn't use "earth" here at all. I would probably say "I feel like a boy playing in soil" but if I had to use "earth" I would say "I feel like a boy who is playing with earth".

We're all born out of the earth.
I would capitalise "Earth" here because I assume you're talking about the planet. If you're talking about soil, then "We're all born of earth".

He paints with earth. (no article).
That works for me, if it's possible to paint just using soil.

He brings the earth from all of his foreign trips.
I definitely wouldn't use "earth" here. I would say "He brings soil back from all [of] his foreign trips". If I absolutely had to use "earth", I would omit the article.

See above in red.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
This is great. I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.