Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I invited Heather Anne Campbell to have lunch with me and wear her Google Glass the whole time. She is one of the 8,000 people Google chose to buy the $1,500 device before it's made available to the public.
I did not think our lunch would go well, since I'm one of the few people who believe putting your phone on the table suggests that you don't think I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body.

What does the underlined sentence mean?

Thanks!

Jason

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Someone without a face or body" would be someone calling her on her phone. The writer was offended that she might accept a phone call during their lunch.

moemenkhallaf

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
This sentence ( putting your phone on the table suggests that you don't think I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body )from another aspect it can writing ( putting your phone on the table suggests not thinking I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body )

right or false

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
This sentence ( putting your phone on the table suggests that you don't think I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body )from another aspect it can writing ( putting your phone on the table suggests not thinking I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body )

right or wrong

Hello, moemenkhallaf.:-D

"[...] suggests your not thinking I can tell a story as well as [...]" looks grammatical.

However, I don't think the verb 'suggest' in the sense of 'imply' or 'indicate' is followed by the '-ing form'. (I think the '-ing form' is used when offering an idea.)
For this reason, your version wouldn't work, in my opinion.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It needs punctuation.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It needs punctuation.

Hello, bhai.:-D
I suppose you are referrring to moemenkhallaf's post #3.
Do you mean moemenkhallaf's version is fine if it is properly punctuated ?

Thank you.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, bhai.:-D
I suppose you are referrring to moemenkhallaf's post #3.
Do you mean moemenkhallaf's version is fine if it is properly punctuated ?

Thank you.

No, sorry, I meant the original. moemenkhallaf's version doesn't work for me.

moemenkhallaf

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello, moemenkhallaf.:-D

"[...] suggests your not thinking I can tell a story as well as [...]" looks grammatical.

However, I don't think the verb 'suggest' in the sense of 'imply' or 'indicate' is followed by the '-ing form'. (I think the '-ing form' is used when offering an idea.)
For this reason, your version wouldn't work, in my opinion.

Hello, tzfujimino.
Ask about "your" as obj.and suggest following "verb + ing " without obj.

I suggest playing football. (right)
I suggest our playing football. (wrong)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The sentence "putting your phone on the table suggests that you don't think I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body" can be written in another way: "putting your phone on the table suggests not thinking I can tell a story as well as someone without a face or body".

Please note the suggestions I have made for improving your post. Jasonlulu's original is actually clearer.

Non-teachers are welcome to respond in this forum if they have sufficient knowledge, but we ask you to state clearly at the beginning of your message that you are not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.