Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please check my writing in the short fiction follows. Thank you!

Carrying a suitcase, he hesitatingly stood there looking at the beloved house. There were times this house was a cozy place where after a long tiring day at work, he would come home to the welcome loving arms of his wife. These images are now getting out of reach...

Slightly opening the door, she nervously recognized the man stood in front of her house. In the past, as she would recall, she would run over to him and hug him tightly. But that wasn't the case now, the person who stood in front of her was no longer the same husband that she has loved dearly.

-"How have you been? I'm here to see how you and our son are doing", he said

She looked deep into his eyes, her tears were rolling down her cheeks uncontrollably. She forced herself not to cry, but it seems like tears just fell down on their own. Seeing him, all the painful memory resurfaced, but so did her undying love for him. Though she is angry at him, she can't take away his right to visit his child.

-"Why don't you come in?", she said

His son came and embraced him to show his yearning after many days not seeing his father. He felt even more painful looking at the child's innocent appearance. It was him who destroyed this home, his ignorance and selfishness had demolished everything here. Because of him, his child is missing out on fatherly love and his wife, who could have sacrifice everything for him, now has the strenuous task of raising the child by herself. As for him, he became a homeless person even when he has a home.

His wife prepared water and kept him company at the table. She avoided looking into his eyes, realizing that she still has feelings for this unfaithful man.

-"How have you been doing? Have you and she got married?", she asked.
-"She has left me for another man. She put me down for being poor and that I won't be able to take good care of her", he said.

He was hanging his head in shame. In the past, he was able to make money but that has led him astray. He abandoned his wife and child for another woman. No matter how much his wife begged him nor how loud his child cried, he insisted on writing that divorce letter. Finally, his wife gave up allowing him to go after the other woman. She agreed to raise their child by herself.

-"Are you still by yourself? Why aren't you seeing someone, or is it because you're still waiting for me?", he asked.

-"I knew it would end up like this the day you left, sooner or later. When people are being calculated in a relationship then there's no way that happiness can be long-lasting. As for me, I'm staying like this for the sake of our son, not waiting for you. Who I'm waiting for is someone that can truly love and understand me"

He wasn't sure what force gave him the courage to hold her hand and begged:
-"I beg you to please give me one last chance. I know I was wrong, please just give me one more chance to compensate you and our son and make up for my wrongdoing"

For a moment, she left her hand remained inside his. But then all the misery and hatred of being abandoned awoke her. It is true that she still has feelings for her husband who has been by her side since, but forgiveness would be a very hard thing to say. She loves her son but does not want to overlook things. Everybody needs to take responsibility for their actions. If anyone can just do things their way even though they could end up hurting other people and then get forgiveness for it, wouldn't that be too easy?
She withdrew her hand off of his, turned around and said:
"It's too late now. My heart has been calloused due to the pain that you have brought me. Why don't you just live your own life now, as since the day you walked out on this marriage, I have already completely erase you from my memory "

He silently walked out the door, carrying his suitcase with a heavy heart. He is paying for what he had done. It is worth it. He wiped his tears and began to think about his new life ahead. Little did he knew that behind the shutted door, she silently cried on the inside. Only if he is that sincere, then that door would've opened. But would he understand that...?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
W​hen will you submit this essay to your teacher/tutor to be marked?

Conan Long

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, there is no due date. This is just something I did on my own to sharpen my English writing skill :). I'd appreciate any comments or feedback on this. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.