Countable things that become uncountable nouns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Dear members and teachers:

Sometimes I wonder that one day you will change my username THE APPRENTICE into THE GRAMMAR CONFUSED because of my lots of grammar confusions.

1°) I have learned that HOW MUCH is used with uncountable or non-countable nouns, but I have noticed that HOW MUCH is also used with things that can be counted in cases that their amount are unknown at that moment, for intance:

Money can be counted; Jewels can be counted; furnitures can be counted, etc., but when we do not exactly know the amount of them, they are uncountable things untill they are counted or known.

1a) I don't know how much money do you have? (unknown countable things).

1b) I only have 5,00 Pounds. (known countable things).

1c) He doesn't know how much jewels she has. (unknown).

1d) She has two dimond rings and three golden chains. (known).

2°) I have learned that MUCH is used with uncountable nouns in negative sentences; however, A LOT OF is used in affirmative as well as in negative sentences, for example:

2a) That container does not have much water.

2b) That container does not have a lot of water.

2c) That container has a lot of water. (not MUCH).

2d) I don't drink much water.

2e) I drink a lot of water. (not MUCH).

2f) I don't have much money to go.

2g) He has a lot of money in his pocket. (not MUCH).

QUESTION:

1) Can MUCH alone be used in affirmative sentences?

2) In This question: I don't know how many people are in there? The people are unknown untill they be counted.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Money cannot usually be counted. You can count dollars, pounds, etc, but can you show me two monies? It does have a plural- monies is used in legal texts, but then, while plural, you won't be able to produce two of them. The same is true of furniture- you can't count it, but you can count chairs and beds. You can count jewels, but I think you may mean jewellery- you can't usually count it, but you can count rings.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Excellent Tdol; thank you:

I meant JEWELLERY (JEWELRY). Now I got you, those are mass nouns, cannot take indefinite article and consequently they are uncountable nouns.

My best regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.