Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys,

We say " I got something made" but can we say " The painting that I got made" instead of " I got the painting made". What is the difference between " I got painting made" and " The painting that I got made".

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

"The painting that I got made" is not a complete sentence, but there is nothing wrong with the "got made" part of it. The subject here is the painting.

In, "I got the painting made" "I" is the subject and "the painting" is the object, and it is a sentence.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I am not a teacher.

"The painting that I got made" is not a complete sentence, but there is nothing wrong with the "got made" part of it. The subject here is the painting.

In, "I got the painting made" "I" is the subject and "the painting" is the object, and it is a sentence.
I'm afraid that I don't know anybody who would say "I got the painting made." "I had the painting made" is the way to express that we got someone to make/create the painting.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I wouldn't use "made" for a painting. I would say "I had this picture painted". (Husband of an artist)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We say " I got something made" but can we say " The painting that I got made" instead of " I got the painting made". What is the difference between " I got painting made" and " The painting that I got made".

I thought you knew better than to leave a space after opening quotation marks.

Please use the Edit Post feature to remove them.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It reminds me of Bosun.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
So, "I had the painting made" and "The painting I got made" both sentences have same meaning.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So, "I had the painting made" and "The painting I got made" both sentences have same meaning.
No. Read post #2 again.
The first sentence describes an action in the past. The non-sentence mentions an item and an attribute, but no action. They can't possibly mean the same thing.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
People would say "get my hair cut", why wouldn't they say "got the painting made"?
They're not analogous.
You can say, "I got my hair cut; I got my painting framed." The other is a different concept.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just remember that we don't say "to make a painting" so it doesn't matter what order you put the words in, they won't be right. We "paint a picture" or "paint a painting" or "paint a portrait" or "paint a landscape" etc. You get the idea - the verb is "to paint".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then is it correct to say "I got the picture painted"?

The noun and the verb are correct. I don't like the construction with "got" any more than the others did. If I had arranged for someone to paint a picture, as a present for example, I would say "I had a picture painted [for my brother's birthday present]".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
But can somebody explaim me what does "The painting that I got made" mean? As roman has said, there is nothing wrong with this formation then what is the meaning, does it also mean, that some body else made it for me, because if we can say "I had the painting made", so what if we use "The painting" before "had", can't we say it in this way, Please Iam confused(Native speakers).

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
As has been pointed out "I had the painting/picture/portrait/landscape painted" is the correct way to say it.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But can somebody explaim me what does "The painting that I got made" mean? As roman has said, there is nothing wrong with this formation then what is the meaning, does it also mean, that some body else made it for me, because if we can say "I had the painting made", so what if we use "The painting" before "had", can't we say it in this way, Please Iam confused(Native speakers).
"The painting I got made" means the same as "the painting I had made", "the painting I had painted for me".
But that's different from calling "the painting I got made" an acceptable phrase.
You want to use "the painting" before 'had'? OK - "The painting I had made".
What's your confusion?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My confusion is that, does this also mean that I had it made or does the meaning get changed if we use "The painting" before "Had made or got made", because if we changed "got to had" in this formation so that would be "painting that I had made", so does it mean I made it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My confusion is that, does this also mean that I had it made or does the meaning get changed if we use "The painting" before "Had made or got made", because if we changed "got to had" in this formation so that would be "painting that I had made", so does it mean I made it.

I continue to believe that "to make a painting" is not right so I will not comment on "painting that I had made." The fragment "painting that I had done/painted" is ambiguous and, even as part of a whole sentence, could mean one of two things. The rest of the context would help you decide which is correct.

The painting that I had done on Thursday was destroyed on Friday. (Interpretation 1: I did/painted the painting.)
The painting that I had done on Thursday was destroyed on Friday. (Interpretation 2: I arranged for someone else to do/paint the painting.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please explain me Roman, whether both these sentences mean, I had the painting made by someone else or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.