A. I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want my family to be and where m

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Talking to friend about living in Californa. I say -

(California)That is where I want to retire after the kids are all grown up and gone to college.

I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want my family to be and where my kids grow up and go to school before I retire.

When I'm saying I'm still a long ways from that - that replaces retire - and it's - replaces California.

Is the underlined sentence grammatically correct and useable in American English?

Thank you!

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The underlined still makes no sense. The sentence before the underlined one is OK.

B

B45

The underlined still makes no sense. The sentence before the underlined one is OK.

What do you mean it makes no sense? The underlined sentence is a continuation of the 1st sentence.

I'm still a long ways from it but that's where I want my family to be and where my kids to grow up and go to school before I retire.

it = retirement, that = California.

What about now?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The point that doesn't make sense is the idea that your kids will grow up after you retire. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps what is confusing you is an older, now archaic, usage of "retire" in BrE.

If you were a wealthy person of any age in the Victorian era, you might have chosen to "retire to" Bath or Spa to take the waters. That sort of retirement was just like what we now call a vacation, not the permanent old age retirement that the word now indicates.

Similarly, if you were a lady waiting for a train in India during the Raj, you might have chosen to stay in the "ladies retiring room." I am delighted to inform you that if you are a lady you can still do so today at many stations, but the accommodations are far from luxurious.

Last edited:
B

B45

The point that doesn't make sense is the idea that your kids will grow up after you retire. It is not impossible, but it is unlikely.

I've changed it to:

(California)That is where I want to retire after the kids are all grown up and gone to college.

I'm still a long ways from it but that's where I want to eventually live out the rest of my life.

it = retirement, that = California.

Is the underlined sentence grammatical and makes sense now?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It is good and logical now.

B

B45

What if change it around like this:

I'm still a long ways from that but it's where I want to eventually live out the rest of my life.

Is this underlined sentence still okay?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Really? It and that are interchangeable in such a way that I can use either in most situations?
No, that's certainly not true. Where did you get "in most situations" from one example?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I simply said that your sentence is correct in that version. And I need to add that this reply is to Batman and not to Raymott.

Status
Not open for further replies.