Are you still in a relationship with him?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to a local English club tonight and I met Ting. She's a friend of mine but I haven't met her for a long time. Last time when we were in the English club she told me she had a boyfriend whose name is Panda. Today I met her and I asked her the question "Are you still in a relationship with Panda?"

Is my question okay? The intended meaning is "Is Panda still your boyfriend?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to a local English club tonight and I met Ting. She's a friend of mine but I haven't met her for a long time.
You need to work on your use of "meet". In the opening sentence, it sounds as if you didn't know Ting before this evening. That's the usual meaning of "This evening, I met ..." - it means it was the first time you'd met/been introduced.
To avoid the problem, you could open with:
I bumped into Ting at a local English club this evening.
I arranged to meet Ting at a local English club this evening.
I was at a local English club this evening and I saw my friend Ting.

The simplest of these is the last. Instead of making it clear that you're already friends in sentence 2, bring it into sentence 1. You could amalgamate the two sentences.
At the local English club this evening, I bumped into my friend Ting, who I haven't seen for a long time.

As you can see, I wouldn't use "meet" in the part with "for a long time". When the meeting hasn't been pre-arranged, it's more common to say "I saw" or "I haven't seen".

We can use "meet" when talking about/to someone we already know. When talking about arrangements, we say things like:
I'll meet you at ten o'clock at the park.
Do you want to meet for coffee?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Much appreciated, jutfrank and emsr2d2. I'll not only write down the suggested sentences but also all the notes in my notebook.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much appreciated, jutfrank and emsr2d2. I'll not only write down the suggested sentences but also all the notes in my notebook.
OK. However, note that we don't need to know what you're going to do with your notebook. Clicking the "Thanks" button on both our responses is enough. It saves time for everyone.