How can I response to an interviewer if interviewing questions are too personal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It should be Post 3 by Barb.

Then you misunderstood post #3. Barb did not mean "After you tell the HR department what happened, they will arrange for the company to be sued". She meant "You should tell the HR department what happened. The HR department will be able to deal with the problem by speaking to the interviewer and explaining what is wrong with his interview technique. If the HR department does not get the opportunity to do this, at some point in the future, someone will sue the company because of his interview technique". I realise that's long-winded, but that's what it meant.

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My company's HR sends out a document every time they schedule an interview explaining what can and can not be asked about. For example, you can ask "are you able to legally work in this country?" but not "what country are you from?"

A small firm that doesn't have this type of guidance is just asking for trouble.

As I said law is law, reality is reality.

Laws are powerful to those who would like to obey it, but not all of people, who clearly know the consequences but still break laws. Or why are there crimes that happened every day, if not every day but it should be almost every day.

Laws can punish people who break it, but not every one get punished.

Without evidences, proofs, money, I doubt that boss is asking for trouble. I am sure the OP didn't record it or is without any evidences. And she/he might not have money, or wouldn't like to spend money, time to hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit as she/he just is looking for the first ever job.

An American customer whom we have been working with for quite a long time, is trying to break the contract with my plant in China, but we cannot sue him, because the total amount is just $6000, it will cost us more to file a lawsuit against him, air tickets, lawyer fee, accommendation, visa, time, energy, evidences collecting, etc. What we pay would definitely be way more than just $ 6000.

I would conduct something which seems more practical to me, if the loss is not too much. I don't look for 100% fair things in this world.

Excuse me, I would like to call it a day for myself for this thread.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are welcome to leave the thread whenever you wish, thedaffodils. I hope that the OP, ZOEYW, has not been put off by our protracted discussion of the fairness, existence or otherwise of employment law.

Last edited:

thedaffodils

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Then you misunderstood post #3. Barb did not mean "After you tell the HR department what happened, they will arrange for the company to be sued". She meant "You should tell the HR department what happened. The HR department will be able to deal with the problem by speaking to the interviewer and explaining what is wrong with his interview technique. If the HR department does not get the opportunity to do this, at some point in the future, someone will sue the company because of his interview technique". I realise that's long-winded, but that's what it meant.
I would say someone might sue but not will sue, however I doubt that as the cost is way too much. I just hope some suggesion is more practical for the OP to follow now or for next job interview.

I'd call it a day for myself in this thread. Have a good one!

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which one is legal for instance in this case? What if I do not want to answer it, how should I reply? Like I am sorry I do not want to answer this question?

Thanks!
In the US, it's a legal question, but like all interview questions, you don't have to answer it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This site seems fairly comprehensive on what can and can't be asked. The final slide on that website gives you some options of what to do if you are asked such a question.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My response about the question being legal was to the one about your salary history.

I thought I clearly said in an earlier post that the original one about children, etc. was not legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.