No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
if you don't know a person very well, then it's best to use Ms.
Mrs. is used when you know that person is married.

So do I- it makes life much simpler. ;-)

the easyest one...

Koka said:
the easyest one...
You mean easiest ;-)

I use Mrs is I know that person is married.
If I am speaking to that person and they look at an age where they may be married, I ask them whether they are a Miss or a Mrs, but subtly. As in "Yes Mrs... are you a Miss or a Mrs?"
Do not say "are you married?", english people may find that offensive or intrusive, especially if you do not know them well.
I use Miss if I know that person is not married, or they look quite young.
In writing I always use Ms. If I do not know whether the person is married or not.

When saying adult's names, I always say "Miss" even when I know that they're married. When writing, though, I'll write Mrs. if I know they're married, and Ms. if they're not or I don't know.

Except for my Spanish teacher - she's Señora.

What do you need help with, cu8gul?

Mrs :sed before a married woman's family name to be polite when you are speaking to her, writing to her, or talking about her

Ms :used before a woman's family name when she does not want to be called 'Mrs' or 'Miss', or when you do not know whether she is married or not .

Miss :used in front of the family name of a woman who is not married to address her politely, to write to her, or to talk about her

Also
spoken used as a polite way of speaking to a young woman when you do not know her name .

for example

Excuse me, miss, could I have another glass of water?

Longman Dictionary :-D

Who says it's small? ;-)

With so many being divorced or separated, I'd choose Ms, just to be on the safe side!

How do you pronounce each one of them, please?

Mrs- sounds the same as misses.
Ms- Americans tend to say 'miz' and British 'muz'.
Miss- pronounced as written.

Thank you:)

The be all end all answer: Ms. = Miss (unmarried, or general use) Mrs. = Misses (married) Mz. = Miz (divorced/widowed) Though it's very rare I ever hear "miz" anymore in that context.

Ms is great so that as a woman you do not have to define yourself as married or unmarried. You leave them guessing:))

Back