I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because I've/I had been overseas for the like three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, so I wasn't sure if it was true.

Are both useable here? What would a native use? I've heard both by native speakers, unless, I misheard.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"for the like three weeks" is incorrect.

B

B45

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because I've/I had been overseas for the last three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, so I wasn't sure if it was true.

Which pair is correct?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
They would both be OK with either "because" or "so". With both they are incorrect.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So leave out the because or so in the sentence?
Yes. Use one or the other, but not both.

(Interestingly, just yesterday I got into a Facebook discussion on the use of XOR to mean "one or the other but not both." "Use 'because' xor 'so.'")

B

B45

Yes. Use one or the other, but not both.

(Interestingly, just yesterday I got into a Facebook discussion on the use of XOR to mean "one or the other but not both." "Use 'because' xor 'so.'")

Like this:

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but I've/I had been overseas for the last three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, so I wasn't sure if it was true.

Or

I heard about that horrible shark attack at the beach by where we live, but because I've/I had been overseas for the last three weeks, and I hadn't had/haven't had any contact with friends and relatives back home, I wasn't sure if it was true.

So one or the other?

Can someone please explain to me why both verb tenses are okay in these examples?

Status
Not open for further replies.