Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
I would be more than grateful If any of you good-hearted people could correct this formal letter:

To .......

I am writing to request a change of shift. At the moment I am scheduled to work at night from 22:00 till 06:00 and I have done so for over a year, initially through an agency and subsequently as a permanent employee. During this time I have strived to perform my job to best of my abilities always keeping in mind our company’s wellbeing.

Given the fact that during the last two months I have worked roughly over 100 hours of overtime, which means that I have been starting work at 18:00 with the rest of workers who normally work 4on-4off shift, and will most likely continue to work that way, I believe it would be more convenient for me, and more reasonable, if I could work 4on-4off shift permanently. I would also like to mention the fact that at the moment, apart from ordinary order picking in the ambient area, I perform many other duties around the warehouse, including quality checking and doing ‘sweeps’, which involve driving a reach truck and working in a freezer for a considerable length of a shift. I strongly believe that the company would benefit much more from my commitment and effort If I was on a 4on-4off night shift.

I fully understand the requirements of the job, as I have been working at this company for over a year and will do my best to continue working to the standard of the company. I have spoken to my immediate superior, and he has encouraged me to put forward a request for a change of shift.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Yours sincerely ,

Warehouse operative
Night shift

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is really well-written. The only change I would make would be to "... I have strived to perform my job to the best of my ability, keeping in mind our company's wellbeing". "The" needs to be added before "best" and the final word usually refers to living beings (people and animals). I find it rather unnatural when applied to a company. You could perhaps say "... to the best of my ability, for the benefit of the company".

Status
Not open for further replies.