An appropriate way to ask for paycheck issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there,

Here is the situation: I have not received my paycheck and reimbursement from our firm since started to accept this job and the payday was due one week ago. I have no idea if its appropriate to ask my supervisor about this issue, if so, how to ask by email? Or, I need to wait after one month later? It is the first time for me to encounter this kind of issue. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What was the agreement when you started the job? If they agreed to pay you each week, then your pay is overdue. If they agreed to pay you each month, then they don't need to pay you until you have been there a month. Surely this is something you established before you starting working there!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there,

Here is the situation: I have not received my paycheck and reimbursement from our firm since I started working at this job and t[STRIKE]he[/STRIKE] payday supposed to be one week ago. I have no idea if it's appropriate to ask my supervisor about this issue, if so, how to ask -- by email? Or, I need to wait for a month? It is the first time that I have encountered this kind of issue. Any suggestion would be appreciated!

You haven't been paid since you started working there, and payday was supposed to be a week ago? Well, don't be bashful. After all, this is a money issue. As a matter of fact, I had a similar situation at my workplace once. (I hadn't gotten paid for all of the hours that I had worked.) I simply talked to my supervisor and explained the situation. You should do the same thing. And don't waste time.

:)

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Every two weeks as indicated in employee handbook.
What was the agreement when you started the job? If they agreed to pay you each week, then your pay is overdue. If they agreed to pay you each month, then they don't need to pay you until you have been there a month. Surely this is something you established before you starting working there!

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your honest suggestion! It truly makes me embarrassed to ask for the paycheck especially it is the first month of this work. But how can I ask? Like "Ms.XXX, I am not sure the if I was supposed to get the paycheck every other Thursday?" Auhhhhh, so wired! Any other appropriate way to talk about this? Thanks again!
You haven't been paid since you started working there, and payday was supposed to be a week ago? Well, don't be bashful. After all, this is a money issue. As a matter of fact, I had a similar situation at my workplace once. (I hadn't gotten paid for all of the hours that I had worked.) I simply talked to my supervisor and explained the situation. You should do the same thing. And don't waste time.

ZOEYW

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the correctness of the original statement!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for your honest suggestion! It truly makes me embarrassed to ask for the paycheck especially it is the first month of this work. But how can I ask? Like "Ms.XXX, I am not sure the if I was supposed to get the paycheck every other Thursday?" Auhhhhh, so wired! Any other appropriate way to talk about this? Thanks again!

Please get in habit of putting your response after the quoted part (as in this post). Got to go!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apologies for my misunderstanding of your original post. You should never be embarrassed to ask for your pay. You have worked and you must be paid. There is no reason to pretend to be confused. Simply bring the employee handbook with you, remind the supervisor what date you started and point out that you should have been paid one week ago. Hopefully, that will resolve the situation and you will be paid almost immediately. If that is not the case, you might have to consider taking it further and with someone of a higher grade.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Emsr2d2:

Somehow I didn't notice that you had already posted before I did. If I had, I might not have posted my post. (I don't really know, but I might not have. (Ron asks himself, "Sure everybody makes mistakes, but why do I have to be the one to keep demonstrating that?"))

:oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No :oops: required. Your response was much more relevant than mine because I had completely missed the fact that the OP had already said how late the pay was.

Status
Not open for further replies.