Member Type
Other
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you find out the answer of this question which asks to put the proper words in the blanks to summarize the passage as follows :

(Please decide your answer first and then check out the answer.)

Independence takes many forms. There’s the independence that comes when you possess a strong set of self-help skills. Being able to tie your shoelaces, make your own lunch, and speak to a store manager to get an after-school job—these are essential skills for independent living that we should be developing in kids at different stages of development. These self-help skills are the building blocks for real confidence in kids. Our job as parents is to make ourselves redundant, so we need to do less for kids so they can do more. This type of independence is relatively easy for parents to develop. It’s also very safe. However, developing a child’s independence to navigate the world outside the front door of our home is very different indeed. Greater freedom involves an element of risk, which is naturally scary for parents. However, while our basic job is to keep our kids safe and secure, that doesn’t mean we eliminate risk altogether by overprotecting them.

��
Children gain confidence effectively by being given (A) , and although they are put at risk in the process, it is desirable that parents should (B) what is necessary.

(A) (B)
① clear indications exceed
② clear indications overlook
③ more independence exceed
④ more independence overlook
⑤ practical help force

Did you decide yours?
The answer suggests #4 as the right one. ('more independence' for Blank (A) and 'exceed' for Blank (B))
But I just agree with the answer of Blank (A).
I don’t see any proper words in the listed answers of the blank (B).
Do you agree with my line of thought?
If you don’t, can you tell me why?
If you agree, can you put any proper word in you native sense?

Wish for your responses.
Thanks in advance.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Answer #4 isn't 'more independence' for Blank (A) and 'exceed' for Blank (B), it's 'more independence' for Blank (A) and 'overlook' for Blank (B).

Having said that, I agree with you for (A) 'more independence' and don't see any word suitable for (B) from those provided.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
It would depend on your own personal theories about child development, but answer number 5 could also be correct.

Children gain confidence effectively by being given (A)practical help , and although they are put at risk in the process, it is desirable that parents should (B)force what is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.