Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi,

I would like to know what does "slant" mean in this sentence. I read in the dictionary that it means to "slope", but I just cannot picture it. Doesn't the Moon appear full when the Sun rays are perpendicular on the Moon's surface? If they slope, the Moon appears only a portion full. I might be overthinking this though :).

Thank you.

Much like what Zhang Heng had said, Shen Kuo likened the moon to a ball of silver, which does not produce light, but simply reflects light if provided from another source (the sun). He explained that when the sun’s light is slanting, the moon appears full.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree that Zhang Heng and Shen Kuo are both wrong. As any mathematician will tell you, all depends on the frame of reference. What is perpendicular to me is slanted to you since you and I stand in different positions.

But I also must disagree with your statement that the moon appears full "when the Sun rays are perpendicular on the Moon's surface". Draw a line from the moon to the sun. The moon appears full to us when the angle between the earth and that line is equal to the angle between the sun and that line. Per Euclid.

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Draw a line from the moon to the sun. The moon appears full to us when the angle between the earth and that line is equal to the angle between the sun and that line. Per Euclid.

I am not a teacher.

I know what you are trying to say, but you haven't said it.

If the line is drawn between the sun and the moon, there is no angle between the sun and the line. In fact, when the angles are the same it's called a total eclipse.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Ok. So "slant" does mean "slope" here. It's correct. It was just my astronomy skills that failed me :).

Status
Not open for further replies.