Difference between saying" I can go on forever about my past vs I could go on foreve

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Difference between saying" I can go on forever about my past vs I could go on foreve

Difference between saying"

I can go on forever about my past vs I could go on forever about my past.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: Difference between saying" I can go on forever about my past vs I could go on fo

There is no difference in meaning.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta
Re: Difference between saying" I can go on forever about my past vs I could go on fo

There is not much difference between these two words when used in this context. Both are correct and get the same point across, however:

You might say 'I can go on forever about my past' if you are making a definite statement, if you know you have the ability to 'go on forever about my past.'
'I could go on forever about my past' on the other hand might suggest that you were once able to go on about your past, but are not able to anymore (as 'could' is the past tense of 'can'). 'Could' in this sentence may also suggest that you have the ability to 'go on forever about my past' but do not want to, whereas 'can' suggests that you are offering to 'go on forever about my past.'

Here is a more in depth article on the differences between 'could' and 'can'.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/qa/could-can-and-would

I hope this helps!
TMF

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I think you have created a distinction without a difference. In this context, the two phrases have the same meaning.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Malta

I did inform the asker that both words get the same point across in this context... I just felt that I should explain the difference between the two words and give them examples of how they might be used differently since they were having trouble understanding the correct usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.