"on one hand" and "on the one hand",which one correct in native English users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina+

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"on one hand" and "on the one hand",which one correct in native English users?

Dear teachers,
I'm a sophomore in China,and I major in English.I know that we always use the phrase like"on one hand```on the other hand" in our English writing.But,could you tell me in which situation we should use "on the one hand"?and what is the distinction between the two? I would appreciate it if you could help me solve this problem.Thanks a lot!;-);-)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: "on one hand" and "on the one hand",which one correct in native English users?

In my opinion there is no difference between "on one hand" and "on the one hand".

Carina+

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: "on one hand" and "on the one hand",which one correct in native English users?

Thanks for your reply,probus! Now I have known that both the two are right.But could you tell me does any differences exist between "on one hand"and"on the one hand"in their usage?Because in my English writings , especially in the argumentative writing, I always use “on one hand… on the other hand” to clarify the two opposite aspects of one thing, both good and bad, then I could present my point of view more clearly. But I'm afraid if I use"on the one hand...on the other hand"in the writing,my teacher would give me low points because of the wrong using.
I hope you could tell me in which situation we use"on one hand"more often,and in which situation we usually use"on the one hand".And I would appreciate it very much if you could give me some examples.
I didn't mean to offend you,please forgive my verboseness.Look forward to receiving your reply!
Yours sincerely!:lol:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

This chart suggests that 'on the one hand' is more common, but 'on one hand' is not wrong. (Click on the underlined link.)

This has become very tedious. Let's hope your class can put this topic to bed on the next school day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Carina+, remember to put a space after every comma, full stop, question mark and exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.