Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi everyone,

My grammar book says I can use "impressed by", "impressed with" and "impressed of" but my English friend has never heard of "impressed of". Has anyone heard of it? I can't find it on the Internet either so I'm beginning to think it is a mistake.

Thanks!

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

You can use 'impressed on' too, but I think 'impressed of' is a mistake. If it exists, and I have certainly never used it, I would expect to be told that it is archaic.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've never used it either.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I haven't used it either, but I can imagine someone trying to change the passive focus of the bi-<thingummy> verb in 'it was impressed on him' as 'he was impressed of it' :)-?) - on the analogy of 'he was apprised of it'.

(Sorry - word escapes me. Age ;-))

b

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can you give me a sample sentence using impressed of? (I have neither heard it used nor used it myself.)

:)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The word I was looking for yesterday was ditransitive. And I didn't say it (this particular usage) was OK.

What I did say was that with a ditransitive verb there are two possible focuses for a passive. So there might, sometimes, be a temptation to say both

'The importance of X was impressed on him' :)tick:)

and

'He was impressed of the importance of X.' :)-?) I wouldn't use it, but I can imagine a situation where someone might try it! - especially if they had in mind a model like 'He was apprised of the importance of X.' :)tick:)

(NB: This sort of 'impress' has nothing to do with being awestruck.)

b

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The BNC lists examples of impressed by/with/on/upon/at/in/as/for/despite/after/against/without/like/into/from/above. The ones towards the end are single examples, against 748 for impressed by. COCA has one example of impressed of, and it doesn't count: Most impressed of all was Alistair.... So, while it may be possible, it remains extremely unlikely,so it's odd for a grammar book to give it as a real possibility.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Agreed. And I think I abused ditransitive back there. I think real ditransitive verbs are ones like read and give: 'Read it me', 'Give it him'... - verbs that take two objects (one of which is 'dative' [in old money ;-)]) without intervening prepositions.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.